1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

IF, EF, Metformin and Exercise

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by mstickland, Oct 29, 2019.

1. mstickland

mstickland Type 2 · Newbie

I’m a 46 year old Type II diabetic whose recent HbA1c clearly showed I have been a bit naughty over the last few months! Having seen my GP recently she suggested I looked at fasting as a method of helping to control my blood glucose levels.

I recently read David Fungs book on fasting and have the following questions I hope you’ll be able to answer:

1 - I’m currently on the maximum dose of Metformin and wondered when I should take this during extended periods of fasting i.e. if I’m fasting for 24 to 48 hours or more?

2 - I go to the gym several times a week either weight training, spinning or doing yoga. I also try to go running once or twice a week. How do I exercise during extended periods of fasting?

I have a basic understanding of how fasting works but my concern is that I don’t need to lose weight I just need to try and get my blood glucose levels under control again.

Any help would be great.

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

So what are you doing to control your blood glucose levels after meals?
    You'll be getting fitter, but that doesn't necessarily do anything about spikes after eating or drinking.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

What kind of things are you eating? Many find changing diet alongside fasting to be the most potent form of change, I know I did.

As for working out/exercise many too find it more beneficial to do it fasted anyway.

4. mstickland

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. My plan is to continue taking Metformin and monitoring my blood glucose levels whilst intermittently fasting.

I’m 84 kgs and therefore don’t need to lose weight any more in fact I would like to start to increase my muscle mass but I’m not sure if that is possible whilst fasting.

5. mstickland

I’m going to go back onto a low carb high-fat diet whilst intermittently fasting but what I don’t want to do is lose weight, in fact I plan on increasing muscle mass.

6. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Exercise or non, fasting or eating, I take 2 * 500 mg morning and evening.
    My system seems to tolerate this.
    Everyone is different.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I'm no expert on building muscle mass but there are plenty who are doing LCHF/Keto?carnivore who are.

Less cardio is often recommended.

Maybe follow some low carb fitness "guru's" like Jerry Texiera
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEAhtSZDkTb0rDGrtaSU7A
    or Ted Naiman?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook