1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

If you are in a chocolate store to buy a gift, and the cashier offers you a free chocolate,

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by luv2spin, May 17, 2018.

?

Do you Say?

1. No Thank You

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No Thank you, "I'm a Diabetic"

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. No thank you I’m allergic

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. "Is this any good?"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. “Yes please. Can I have another!”

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. Hell yeah!!!! Gimme dat

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. RW47

RW47 Type 1 · Member

Sorry if I have upset anybody and I do realise how difficult it can be to adjust to the problems of Diabetes but all this rubbish I hear from T2 Diabetics about it’s alright for you because you are only T1 does my head in .
    If you had been diagnosed with the disease in the 50s you would have reason to complain especially about having to boil your glass and metal syringe before use and testing your urine in a test tube with tablets.
    Below is an extract from a document released by Diabetics UK.
    “I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 – what can I eat?
    In one word... anything. Or how about another? Everything.”
    Their words not mine so please stop being a martyr to the disease

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Hey I was being sympathetic to you. I would hate to be T1. I didn't say it's alright for you because you're T1 I said the only perk was that as a T1 you can mostly eat what you like.

The quote from Diabetes UK is simply misleading, wrong and very irresponsible!. Controlling T2 by diet is not being a martyr to the disease, far from it, it's choosing to eat good wholesome foods which everyone should be eating, diabetic or not. Who wants to martyr themselves for the food companies' profits? Not me!

Edit: Of course T2s can chose to eat junk if they want to do so, but I prefer to achieve non-diabetic HbA1cs and therefore avoid diabetic complications.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

This happened to me two weeks ago. Went in to get my mom something special in a vintage tin, walked out with 3 additional bars for myself (and one for my husband). Went through the shop with one of the owners after saying I couldn't, as a diabetic with milk issues. I got to taste, and she had loads that was fine for me without being too bitter. High chocolate content, no cow milk. Was quite pleased! (And they should last me for months!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Sorry!?
    Martyr to type2?
    You need to educate yourself on the differences.
    We are free if you're not sure about what type2 is and it's management.
    Many type1s tell us (type2s) that diet isn't a big concern for type1s as not a dietary disease. Myself I disagree. I believe type2 is a stress and a liver (glucose) balance with insulin (pancreas) irregularity.
    In some people's opinion I have both due to my insulin need and how much, I need. So the less carbs then less insulin then less confused glucose pathways.

Everyone knows that diet cannot prevent type1 diabetes nor cure it.
    Also type1s aren't a slave to a beneficial diet but like none diabetics a healthy diet is recommended. Yes carbs can influence your insulin intake but not benefit how severe your disease is.
    Type2s can have slow and ignored symptoms from floating sugar. Ignored by medics as not all type2s are medically trained in diabetes.
    Type1 complications are severe and come on quickly. Much quicker than any type2's I know of.
    So no. No martyrs here. Sorry.

Ps. Type1s are a slave to giving enough insulin. Type2s are a slave to giving the right carbohydrate level in our insulin irregular body which we don't see either of and often don't injectin; which is as addictive as heroine, by the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #24 ickihun, Jun 13, 2018 at 5:14 AM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd take it and give it to the young un, as I do with all the boxes of chocolates I'm given at Christmas from customers, and being a cheapskate tee-total re-distribute bottles of wine given as gifts as gifts.

Unless it was a single roses signature truffle which I'd eat passing by.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends on the chocolate.

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

A post has been deleted from this thread for attacking another member.

This forum is not a place for people to compete about how bad they have it - or how much better they cope with it.
    Nor is it a place to accuse others of Martyrdom and self pity.

Further comments along these lines will be considered personal attacks, and as such, will be deleted.

Thank you Everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    #27 Brunneria, Jun 13, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I promote branded goods and I'm a sampler too. Most people who don't want to sample any of the product in question, often say' No thank you' other's say 'no I can't because of ie an allergy, a medical condition which is often Type 2 diabetes, then we have a chat about it and other things too ( I love customer's like this, that's what makes the job so enjoyable for me). When I did a lot of pre Christmas promoting, some were dark chocolate promotions and many with type 2 sampled it and bought a box or the bar, Green and Blacks were quite popular. Some customer's however, totally ignore the stand ( and me):rolleyes: and walk on by.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I might say no thank you, it depends. If I really don't want it and they persist I will say, "No thank you, I'm diabetic". They are not sympathetic to this but they don't have a snappy argument so they just shut up and continue with the cashing up. I have been known to take the offer.

The worst case I can remember was KFC who wanted me to have a free drink with that. I said no but he had a script written by Talkie Toaster from Red Dwarf. When I got to the, "No thank you, I'm diabetic", he said, "That's OK, we've got that diet stuff over there".

He took money off the meal in the end.

10. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You're a re-gifter? You must have some happy friends or whoever receives your wine bottles. ;)

I'll eat stuff if my sugar is good or in need of a boost, otherwise I'll keep it for later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it’s the nice 100% stuff they do in Hotel Chocolat, I’ll bite their hand off :hungry:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Waste not, want not was how I was brought up :p and it would just go to waste if it stayed at mine, I have swapped whisky for coffee beans before mind :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Active Member

I won't disrupt my regimen in any way ..so automatically decline ✻free goodies✻

14. Heretic1

Heretic1 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@RW47, I will probably be in a minority here, but as a T2 I agree with your sentiment.

My answer most of the time is quite simply ‘no thank you’. Very occasionally, and if it something I would really like them I will say ‘thank you yes please, and enjoy this occasional treat .... I think that’s what healthy people would do???

I would NEVER dream of saying ‘no thanks I’m diabetic’. Why on earth would I want to tell a complete stranger detail of my medical problems when there is no need for it!

H

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heretic1

Heretic1 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I think that is perhaps a generalisation, and can kinda see where the Diabetes UK quote comes from. As alluded to, very occasionally I will have a ‘junk’ meal, and very occasionally I may also have the odd choccy or 2. I don’t do it all the time, and nor do I want to .... and maybe if I had done so originally I wouldn’t have found myself here! I’ve now been non diabetic for over 2 years.

H

16. tizzy

tizzy · Well-Known Member

Shopping always causes a drop in sugar levels in me haven’t a clue why I go to hotel choc Thornton’s then if I’m lucky pretzels have sample gets me home ok

17. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Offer of free chocolate? Yes please :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

You say you agree with the sentiments of RW47, but RW47 said he has never refused a chocolate. You say that most of the time you say 'No thankyou.' and only accept if it is something you would really like. That's what I do too. RW47 was heavily criticising me saying that I am a martyr for doing exactly that.

You seem like a sensible person, I don't think you really do agree with his sentiments that controlling T2 by diet is being a martyr do you? Yes we can have junk food occasionally, I usually have it when there is nothing else I like on offer, that's just being practical. I can't eat 'anything I like' or 'everything' all the time though as the DUK quote that RW47 posted seems to suggest.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook