If you live in a country which is prone to natural disasters...

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
...then where do you keep your supplies?Specifically insulin, as it is supposed to be stored at 2-8 degrees C.

Where I live, earthquakes are fairly common but in 2 decades nothing has caused any damage to the house. However, best to be on the safe side, right?

If it didn’t require cold storage I would happily keep it in a PeliCase in the genkan, near the ‘go bag’ (emergency evacuation supplies). But having an armoured fridge ‘just in case’ doesn’t really seem practical. Cross your fingers and hope for the best?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I live in a country where the government causes all the disasters!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in a country where the government causes all the disasters!
Which doesn't impact your ability to keep your insulin cool in emergencies I believe. I don't think you'll die within weeks if your insulin stash gets compromised, right?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it didn’t require cold storage I would happily keep it in a PeliCase in the genkan, near the ‘go bag’ (emergency evacuation supplies). But having an armoured fridge ‘just in case’ doesn’t really seem practical.
What about having a cool box in the gencan and keeping some cooling elements in your freezer so you can quickly transfer both insulin and cooling elements to the cool box and hope for finding a source of electricity before it gets too warm?
Take care not to have your insulin freeze by insulating it from the cooling elements though.
In any case, the insulin will be usable for at least a month, unless it gets over 30 degrees, in which case it will still work for a while but likely be less potent.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Which doesn't impact your ability to keep your insulin cool in emergencies I believe. I don't think you'll die within weeks if your insulin stash gets compromised, right?

I last considered this when we were affected by a forest fire 2 years ago and given 15 minutes to evacuate. The insulin came out of the fridge and went into a cool bag on our trip that ended with staying with friends for a fortnight. That was fine, but it wouldn't have been so good if we'd been away from the house when the evacuation order was made. I would have been dependent on whatever insulin supplies I had in my handbag.

But then everyone has that problem if they are away from their house and go bag when a disaster happens, and in a first world country I'd assume that I can get access to insulin from a pharmacy or hospital in the not too distant future.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, I am not going to survive anyway. :)

But if you've time to grab a go bag, then you should also have time to grab your insulin from the fridge.

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Have you heard of frio cooling wallets?
They just need to be filled with water, and they keep medication such as insulin cooler than the outside air.

i don’t know what temperatures you see, and whether this would make enough difference, but it could help.

https://friouk.com/product-category/classic/

Reactions: WasntMe

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Have you heard of frio cooling wallets?
They just need to be filled with water, and they keep medication such as insulin cooler than the outside air.

i don’t know what temperatures you see, and whether this would make enough difference, but it could help.

https://friouk.com/product-category/classic/
That's a pretty cool idea. (Groan). But seriously.

Summer usually up to 40c.