JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And I'm not too sure about the second word after all it may have connotations for our LBGT friends.:angelic:

Sorry lets get it right LGBT friends.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Playing devil's advocate, how many of us knew one whit about Diabetes before diagnosis?

The time that a carer said to me '... one baked potato is not going to kill you' I answered with 'would you say that about booze if I was an alcoholic?'

Please see my signature.

M

Member496333

Playing devil's advocate, how many of us knew one whit about Diabetes before diagnosis?

The time that a carer said to me '... one baked potato is not going to kill you' I answered with 'would you say that about booze if I was an alcoholic?'

Please see my signature.

Absolutely agree. What annoys me personally though is those who don’t have diabetes who think they know better than those who do. Polite discussion is fine, but if the disbelief and heckling continues I rapidly run out of patience. I don’t know about you, but when I didn’t have diabetes, I would never have considered debating it with someone who did.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange that people would even comment on what another person is eating, would we say to a fat person 'Oh, can you eat that'? It is downright rude and none of our business. Why is it that diabetes really is an invitation to people to come out with such rubbish?

Reactions: lovinglife

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Absolutely agree. What annoys me personally though is those who don’t have diabetes who think they know better than those who do. Polite discussion is fine, but if the disbelief and heckling continues I rapidly run out of patience. I don’t know about you, but when I didn’t have diabetes, I would never have considered debating it with someone who did.

When I was able bodied I had no idea of the struggles with every day life that some can experience. I (and I would guess the majority of people) took so much for granted but as you say I would never have offered 'advice' on something that I knew nowt about. The trouble those of us who have T2 face is compounded by the media's portrayal of and the HCPs dogmatic approach to how to manage the condition. Everyone's an expert, apparently.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gary Taubes has been talking of this. In his lecture recently he mentions slim people telling overweight people that if only they would eat as I do then they'd have no problem. This is particularly true of slim HCPs.

Reactions: Flora123
M

Member496333

Gary Taubes has been talking of this. In his lecture recently he mentions slim people telling overweight people that if only they would eat as I do then they'd have no problem. This is particularly true of slim HCPs.

Absolutely. You know, of course there are subsets of users on these discussion boards who disagree on many topics, but at least we are generally all rowing in the same direction. I’ve seen discussions and comments elsewhere that make me want to go on a rampage :D

Reactions: lovinglife

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thats ok rant away we've all experienced it.. if you want to really freak people out tell them you are trying carnivore...always good for a laugh..!

My husband told a friend I was thinking of trying the Nomad diet. I think he thought I was going to eat camel.

D

Deleted Account

The conversation seems to go both ways.
On one occasion, I have had a passing acquaintance tell me I am "too thin".
On another occasion, I have had a very overweight HCP tell me I need to watch what I eat because my BMI had gone up (from 20 to 21) in the last year.
I have also had meat eaters tell me I am doing myself harm because I eat veg and fish.

Diet is a very complex issue because we are all different - our bodies react to different things, we have different allergies and intolerances, we have different abilities to exercise, we have different lifestyles, we are motivated by different things, we are emotionally sensitive to different things, ... and all these affect what diet works for us.

Likewise, we are surrounded by different people. Some extend their motivations upon us, some keep quiet, some want to help, some think they are helping and some are ignorant. But ignorance should not be confused with a lack of caring or stupidity.

Personally, I will politely decline food I don't want but I don't feel the need to explain why. Most people get the message eventually and stop offering jelly sweets or ham or ... If they want to understand my food choices, they will ask ... and some do ... but I don't feel I need to explain every time I decline some food.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet is a very complex issue because we are all different - our bodies react to different things, we have different allergies and intolerances, we have different abilities to exercise, we have different lifestyles, we are motivated by different things, we are emotionally sensitive to different things, ... and all these affect what diet works for us.

Likewise, we are surrounded by different people. Some extend their motivations upon us, some keep quiet, some want to help, some think they are helping and some are ignorant. .

Probably one of the best posts I have read on the whole topic “minefield” of diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The conversation seems to go both ways.
On one occasion, I have had a passing acquaintance tell me I am "too thin".
On another occasion, I have had a very overweight HCP I need to watch what I eat because my BMI had gone up (from 20 to 21) in the last year.
I have also had meat eaters tell me I am doing myself harm because I eat veg and fish.

Likewise, we are surrounded by different people. Some extend their motivations upon us, some keep quiet, some want to help, some think they are helping and some are ignorant. But ignorance should not be confused with a lack of caring or stupidity.

Personally, I will politely decline food I don't want but I don't feel the need to explain why. Most people get the message eventually and stop offering jelly sweets or ham or ... If they want to understand my food choices, they will ask ... and some do ... but I don't feel I need to explain every time I decline some food.

Not sure why you replied to my comment. Nowhere did I mention lack of caring or stupidity.
One can be ignorant of facts or one can be just plain ignorant. We come across both types of people all the time, how we choose to respond is personal.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Pre-conversion of my dear Grandmother to keto she was constantly berating me for refusing certain foods and asking me why I was eating certain things. Now she loves it and loves the energy involved with it because I educated her about the WOE and she saw how much better I looked. Sometimes some people just need to understand that we have certain intolerance's that need to be adhered to now, a lack of education is always the issue. I do wish you and your friend well @Mystrose and the way I deal now? Is with the bowl of Skittles analogy "If there was a bowl in front of you filled with Skittles and one was poisoned would you take a handful? That's how I feel about 'it won't hurt just once'." (Even though for diet controlled diabetics the whole bowl is poisoned but we won't go there.)

Reactions: Member496333

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Be careful last time I used the first word of your post I got hauled over the coals and threatened with excommunication for using such a profane word.

Edited by mod for profanity in quote box!
Sounds like I'll be doing a lot of darning then LOL

D

Deleted Account

Not sure why you replied to my comment. Nowhere did I mention lack of caring or stupidity.
One can be ignorant of facts or one can be just plain ignorant. We come across both types of people all the time, how we choose to respond is personal.
I was agreeing with your comment about the conversation regarding "eat as I do" ... it is not just slim people telling overweight people to do that, the conversation can also be directed at people who are slimmer than average.
That's the bit of my response directly under the quote from you.

The part about ignorance was in response to the general thread, entitled "Ignorance", and was not meant as any response to your comment. My intention was this would be clear from the new paragraph. I apologise if I unintentionally offended through being unclear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Traceymac23

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was agreeing with your comment about the conversation regarding "eat as I do" ... it is not just slim people telling overweight people to do that, the conversation can also be directed at people who are slimmer than average.
That's the bit of my response directly the quote from you.

The part about ignorance was in response to the general thread, entitled "Ignorance", and was not meant as any response to your comment. My intention was this would be clear from the new paragraph. I apologise if I unintentionally offended through being unclear.

Ah, I see. Crossed wires, my apologies.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a friend who over the past few years has said, oh it's ok just this one time. It's not going to hurt you. Well, his diet was horrible and I kept telling him to eat better. Well, guess what? He was diagnosed with type 2 last week. It's horrible thing and I'm doing my best to support him. I feel like saying to him, "Hey, now what do you think about me having Chinese food? Would you eat it?" Sigh, I can't do that tho.
I'd say your friend and others who are keen for you to eat, just want you to eat stuff you don't want to in order to make him feel better about his choices.
Food is such a social thing so for some making rational choices based on your health will never be enough! Smile patiently. Don't preach or justify. They will get it and may even copy you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only once been urged to avoid the 'fad' diet I was on - but they went on, and on, and even brought out sandwiches and biscuits.
I asked if they had ever been in the same room as someone with gangrene as a complication of diabetes mellius, and laid it on thick about the smell, and how it lingers.. They stopped eating, and went rather green.
I can recommend it as a last resort if someone is really being obnoxious.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it worse when another type 2 diabetic (my mother-in law) tells me things like: I eat what I like, don't see why your not. Very frustrating, and I normally reply, I don't wish to end up on insulin and health complications if I can help it. Unfortunately, some people don't understand the seriousness of this condition and assume you just take a pill and carry on. Each to their own.

Reactions: Flora123

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I keep pictures on my phone of D complications (nasty ones). If someone is being difficult about what I will and won't eat I show them the pictures. It shuts them up.

Reactions: Rustytypin