Ignorance

Mystrose

I have a rant...

Those people who say, "oh, it's ok for you to eat that it's not going to hurt you." really disturbs me to the point where I feel very upset with the person.

I am very careful what I put in my mouth. I don't eat carbs unless there is a good amount of fiber involved. My A1C has been as low as 5.7 and I'm proud of that. For someone who knows nothing (obviously) about Diabetes to tell me something I know I can't eat is ok.....arrrrgh! I just get so mad.

What do you tell these people? I tell them I can't eat whatever it is and and why but, they still persist and tell me it's not going to kill me. UM HELLO? I feel like I'm dealing with high school peer pressure sometimes. I've tried to educate, but they just don't get it. I've even gotten the cold shoulder for not eating a plate of pasta my friend made for dinner. What the heck is wrong with people?

Ok, I'm sorry, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening and I'm thankful this forum exists.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tell them I like my feet/eye sight/kidneys more than cake/sweets/pasta etc.. If that then leads onto an opportunity to educate I go for it, if not so be it. Stick to your guns and well done on keeping your HbA1c nice and low.

Reactions: Mystrose

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats ok rant away we've all experienced it.. if you want to really freak people out tell them you are trying carnivore...always good for a laugh..!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Join the queue ... just ignore

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yep, blocks up my kidneys, makes me go blind, impotent and my legs drop off.
That will usually stop them in their tracks.
I usually do not need to get past the blindness comment and as @Rachox says,
that provides a chance to provide some education if they are willing to receive it.

Reactions: Mystrose and Rachox

Mystrose

I just tell them I like my feet/eye sight/kidneys more than cake/sweets/pasta etc.. If that then leads onto an opportunity to educate I go for it, if not so be it. Stick to your guns and well done on keeping your HbA1c nice and low.

I have a friend who over the past few years has said, oh it's ok just this one time. It's not going to hurt you. Well, his diet was horrible and I kept telling him to eat better. Well, guess what? He was diagnosed with type 2 last week. It's horrible thing and I'm doing my best to support him. I feel like saying to him, "Hey, now what do you think about me having Chinese food? Would you eat it?" Sigh, I can't do that tho.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a friend who over the past few years has said, oh it's ok just this one time. It's not going to hurt you. Well, his diet was horrible and I kept telling him to eat better. Well, guess what? He was diagnosed with type 2 last week. It's horrible thing and I'm doing my best to support him. I feel like saying to him, "Hey, now what do you think about me having Chinese food? Would you eat it?" Sigh, I can't do that tho.
Rise above it and help as best as you can, he’ll be glad of your help one day.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
This sounds like a golden opportunity for him to change his dietary outlook on health. Good on you for supporting him.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree it's super annoying but it's better to ignore it so that your blood sugar doesn't go up from the anger. This is one of the reasons I prefer to eat alone and at the job where the vast majority are fat I don't participate in the monthly cake and fruit binges to celebrate birthdays, the Friday donuts and the restaurant lunches. I don't bother justifying my diet to those who won't understand.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The stupidity of others is not your problem and you are not responsible for educating them. I just growl at people until they go away.
Your goals are far more important than their opinions and being strong willed and determined are character traits that are going to help you in every aspect of your life. Think of the people you most admire and I bet they display the skills necessary to overcome obstacles without getting bogged down with trivialities, and the people irritating you really are just trivialities to be ignored.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
To be fair most of my pals are more likely to kick me up the backside if they see me 'falling off
the wagon'.......usually smoking too much or one beer too many as well as food and although it's annoying at the time I always thank them afterwards.

Those are your real friends.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's up to them to respect your choices in life.... I'm sure they expect the same from you. You will find out who your friends really are in situations like this.

M

Member496333

That is certainly more polite then @Jim Lahey's response suggestion. :)

I was only kidding, really. That’s just a last resort reserved for those who won’t let it go.

When I get the “so you can’t have this?” or “you mean can’t have that?!?”, my default response is “I can, but I choose not to.” The “[insert your own word here] off” comes afterwards for those who won’t shut up about it. I’m not bashful :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I was only kidding, really. That’s just a last resort reserved for those who won’t let it go.

When I get the “so you can’t have this?” or “you mean can’t have that?!?”, my default response is “I can, but I choose not to.” The “[insert your own word here] off” comes afterwards for those who won’t shut up about it. I’m not bashful :D

You don't have to explain, we all know what you're really like :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a bit of a rule which says that the degree of understanding of a problem is inversely proprtional to the distance you are from it. This is so true in so many cases.

So if you (they) don’t have it, it is so less likely you (they) will understand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
**** straight
Be careful last time I used the first word of your post I got hauled over the coals and threatened with excommunication for using such a profane word.

Edited by mod for profanity in quote box!

Last edited by a moderator: