I'm a terrible Type 1

Oscar1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a diabetic since June 2015.
I was diagnosed when I was 18 and I'm now 20.
I'm really bad with my diabetes.
I keep forgetting my 24hour one and I ve lost loads of weight I'm around 10stone

I never test my blood and I always leave taking my insulin when I begin feeling thirsty.
Back in September I went through something and went into diabetic Diabetic Ketoacidos twice.

I never see my diabetic team :/ anyone else like this I just really hate this disease..

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a diabetic since June 2015.
I was diagnosed when I was 18 and I'm now 20.
I'm really bad with my diabetes.
I keep forgetting my 24hour one and I ve lost loads of weight I'm around 10stone

I never test my blood and I always leave taking my insulin when I begin feeling thirsty.
Back in September I went through something and went into diabetic Diabetic Ketoacidos twice.

I never see my diabetic team :/ anyone else like this I just really hate this disease..

It's fine to hate the disease. It sucks. But all you are doing is taking the choice not to take necessary steps to take care of yourself if anything that neglect of youself gives diabetes more power and makes life harder for yourself.

You can take back the control with testing and appropriate dosing. Forgetting isn't really an option. You don't really forget, you make a choice not to because you wish you could forget, but that choice has consequences.

Doing the testing and taking control gives you the power. Then you can channel your hatred into actually triumphing over diabetes by not ending up in hospital in dka, being a healthy weight and feeling loads better.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Oscar1996 :)

Yes, lots of people hate Type 1. Look at some of the recent threads - you're not alone.

The answer is to make diabetes part of your life, take it by the scruff of the neck, and control it. Otherwise you let it win. You can ignore diabetes, but it won't ignore you....

I really recommend getting the book Think Like A Pancreas - because that's what you have to do. I also recommend a chat with your DSN about how you're feeling.

If you're not carb counting and adjusting your insulin to match, then push to be shown how, as that's crucial for good control.

Set an alarm in your phone to remind you to take your long acting insulin, and put your meal time insulin near where you eat, so that when you sit down you'll see the pen and inject. Start testing properly so that you know where your blood sugar is.

As @catapillar says, you'll feel a lot better once you get control. You'll reduce short term side effects like thrush, weight loss, thirst, etc, and reduce the risk of long term complications. I suspect you're ignoring the signs of high blood sugar like thirst because it make you feel that you're exerting power over the diabetes. But in truth, you're not - you're letting it get away with affecting your life, and handing it power over you.

Reactions: Nidge247

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Oscar1996 :)

I cannot stress how right @azure and @catapillar is with this advice, you are letting diabetes rule your life, it is literally a case of taking control again and getting your life back, you own this it's your right to have a healthier life and each time you forget to test your diabetes it is taking control of you.

Yes it does take some effort to get back on track, it involves contacting your DSN or Consultant and being honest with them and asking for help, but like anything if you put the effort in then you reap the rewards. Call them and get an appointment, by posting here you know you need some support so a phone call is all it will take to start taking control. Once you are back in the driving seat then your diabetes becomes just a minor irritation rather than a life consuming part of it ruling every aspect of it.

Reactions: azure