I'm Confused With My Bs Readings

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a Type 2 my BS were going over yesterday and I was getting somewhat frustrated, however I tested my BS before I went to bed and it was 4.1 and my True Metrix Air monitor readings when I synced it with my IPad said it was a hypo. I had a couple of biscuits and a drink and my readings went up to normal. What does it mean if I am a type 2 but my readings go low?.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask what meds (if any) you are taking?

Cybersight

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Maybe you over did it with exercise or not enough cabs to exercise ratio It's great that you are dong this by diet just monitor the carb intake on them low days and see if that's what made you go low. it could just be that yesterday your boby used more than usual. I'm no expert but I'm sure advice will follow soon.

Reactions: jenner68

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.1 isn't hypo (technically! - anything under 4 was labelled as hypo but that's recently changed apparently and 3.5 and below is now classed as hypo - but I guess it all depends on who you're asking/speaking to), I suspect your Ipad app has the hypo warning set slightly higher - maybe because you are on hypo inducing medication? Normal T0ds can drop into the high 3s without an issue.

But of course there's always the +/- 15% leeway a BG monitor is allowed to be out so your BG could have been lower or higher too!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your profile says you aren’t on any meds so if that’s right you’ve no need to treat a level of 4.1 as a hypo. If you feel ‘hypo’ it’s most likely that your body isn’t used to being that low, it’s called a false hypo.

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was all a bit bizarre because I am used to trying to stop my BS going over and when I saw the low reading on the meter and I wasn't sure about going to bed then. Thank you for your help folks It is reassuring.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.1 isn't hypo (technically! - anything under 4 was labelled as hypo but that's recently changed apparently and 3.5 and below is now classed as hypo - but I guess it all depends on who you're asking/speaking to), I suspect your Ipad app has the hypo warning set slightly higher
Interesting! The alarm on my Codefree went off recently when I had a reading of 4.4. I knew that was not low enough to be a hypo. The only diabetes med I am taking is Glucophage. Sadly, I have not seen such a low before or since, so I have not investigated changing the setting.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was all a bit bizarre because I am used to trying to stop my BS going over and when I saw the low reading on the meter and I wasn't sure about going to bed then. Thank you for your help folks It is reassuring.
My suggestion, for what it is worth, is that the next time this happens you don't correct your nice low bg.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My suggestion, for what it is worth, is that the next time this happens you don't correct your nice low bg.
Before lunch today I tested my bg. My Codefree meter went berserk as it showed 4.3, which presumably it considers a hypo. I follow the rule that one's bg should not be allowed to stay below 3.8, so I went on preparing lunch without eating anything and tested again in half an hour. This time my bg showed as 5.0. I deduce that either my liver helpfully released some glucose as it felt I was getting low, or the strip was faulty. Either way I survived to enjoy my lunch.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my Code Free set to only alarm a hypo at 3.9 or below as I’m never in the 3s. It nearly gave me a heart attack recently one day when it alarmed with a reading of 2.7! I straight away rechecked and got a much more realistic reading of 4 point something. I deduced a dodgy strip but it’s the one and only time I’ve heard the alarm!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t even know the Codefree had an alarm! 4.3 is the lowest I’ve ever been, but I’m glad I read this just in case - I would probably have assumed the alarm was a low battery!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can set the hypo alert on the codefree. Mine is set to 3.3 - it did go off the other day. Probably an errant strip - am quite frequently in the high 3s, but not usually that low.