I'm quitting insulin tomorrow

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
"Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me"

Your not giving to the world, your taking !

As you said yourself, life is precious, you say that you have controlled your diabetes well for seven years with just few hypos and hypers but that now you've had your fill you want to move on. That's taking on a massive scale and it is selfish.

Selfish to all the people that you could help on here with your experience of seven years good control and all that you say you have learnt during that time.

There are many of us that use this forum that struggle every day to cope with the day to day battle our illness brings and you post that as a first message and what could have possibly been your last. Did you think in any way of the damage you could have or indeed have done to someone who is trying to come to terms with having diabetes.

You stated "living to give to receive and to teach and learn"

Well you haven't taught anybody struggling here with that message and I have no idea why you joined us to post that in the first place !

I am hoping it's a cry for help in which case be honest with us so we can help. If it isn't then take a bit more before you leave and I wish you all the best in your next existence !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You say you are not depressed but I wonder if perhaps there is some depression going on and you don't realise it. It's ok, it's nothing to be ashamed of, lots of people have it, including many diabetics. I think your OP could have been more considerate towards readers, by assuring us that you weren't suicidal, but I'm not annoyed with you for that. The door is open if you want to talk some more about your thoughts and feelings. We'll try to help if we can.

Reactions: 6 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
DKA, yes they are not very nice. I had a severe one 7 years ago, taken to hospital with body temperature of 30 and BGL of 40! Was in hospital for a month and never ever want to go back, not a nice place to be. Have made even more attempts to get and keep the BGL under control then. Have some great friends and have a lot of fun.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
With or without diabetes each day to me is a gift.

I personally don't believe in re-incarnation I believe our body shuts down and our minds cease to exist, I am not religious however feel very spiritual, I believe we are here on earth for a reason, being diagnosed with diabetes made me realise this more so and I strive to live each day with more purpose, help others, fund raise when I can, I certainly want to leave a legacy and touch those around me with positivity.

I appreciate hearing a different view point on life though, it interests me to know what other people think particularly those with type 1, but I think you need to take stock of your situation and if you feel the need to 'cease insulin' then question the reasons why with a doctor and see what they advise you before embarking on a perilous journey and one that will do more harm than good.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words.. truly appreciate them.
Let me explain myself a little better:

I'm not a religious person, however I believe in reincarnation and progression of the soul…
I was diagnosed 7 years ago, at 30, when was hospitalized 2 weeks with severe keatoacidosis and almost died.
From there I have taken care of my diabetes pretty good, counting every carb I eat and injecting properly, in the past years I've only had a couple of hypo and hyper…
The thing is, I truly believe we are here on earth, on this particular life to give and receive, to teach and learn everything we are capable of… until the time comes when our soul is done with this existence and therefore we need to progress.. to reincarnate in another person or animal, on this planet or perhaps another…
Well I think my time to die came 7 years ago, now I depend of taking insulin shots to survive, that's certainly not natural… what if a new med is invented that could make us live for hundreds of years? Would it be good to take it?
I'm not depressed, but I'm also not afraid of death, for me to die is another step of our existence and should be accepted as a gift, just as we take life as a precious gift… To play with the laws that foresees our existence is a dangerous game… what if I'm doing more wrong to my soul trying to survive when my soul is ready for the next step...

There are many ways to "progress the soul"..
However, the path chosen in your case will cause suffering..
Firstly suffering for yourself. Secondly? Suffering for those left behind on this current "plane".
In short. Your intended action in your first post (by its own nature, pointless in deed.) is a bit of a cosmic "set back" in the overview of your philosophical concept.. Your soul is still not ready for the "next step". ;)

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
HI, life sucks at times and sometimes we feel like we are in an ever decreasing circle. You have had some helpful posts from some members .
A couple of weeks ago, I found out an acquaintance had been killed on the road, he was a cyclist, transported to hospital by air ambulance, but died, the van driver was arrested. He leaves a wife and two children age 12 and 14. The 14 year old went to school with my teenager and I was in shock when I read about it in the paper. I still can't believe what happened and that Lee will no longer be here. The family are devastated and the children distraught, they are such lovely, lovely people. He was 48 years old.
Life is so precious and we are on this earth for a relatively short time, try to make peace with yourself.
Best wishes RRB

M

mammamia2006

I have been in the exact same position, not wanting to comtinue doing insulin, etc and honestly not giving a ****, I have been diabetic for 25years (since I was 3 or 4).

I made the choice to only do Lantus and completely ignore the Novorapid, I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and believe me, you are better speaking to someone and doing whatever you can to keep the diabetes under control.

For some, unknown, reason, I decided as of the 4th May this year, I would be a 'good diabetic', I have my BGL under control, rarely hypo, never hyper and I can now see the actual damage I have done to myself.

My brother in law passed away on 6th August, he was 35, has 2 amazing children (aged 9 and 8) and he would have done ANYTHING for them and my sister. Being so close in age made me think about how not doing my insulin would hurt myself and my family (when I slowly, painfully killed myself).

Sorry if this sounds harsh but as my Mum says 'If you want to kill yourself, DO IT. DO NOT Be selfish and dont care about your family, your friends, the people YOU will hurt by being selfish and taking the easy way out!!'

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope this is no off topic .. But I am T2 so would like to ask what happens ... How long can a body function without insulin

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
An acquaintance of mine died within 5 days of not injecting but eating everything.. It appears it was intentional.

M

mammamia2006

I know that you can die within a week. I only took my long acting insulin for years with the occasional quick acting & did that for years. Not healthy at all but at least I survived to tell the tale.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What was the reason for your original post ! Why did you join the forum to post that as a first message !

Probably an outlet of some sort . No one really knows what goes on in some ones mind. My diabetes lately has been some what crazy and confusing, but I chose to stay more in the back ground, but that's me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Life is not a computer game. When the challenge gets too hard you can't just get blown up, then "respawn" & drop back in the game with more ammo & power ups in the hope of clearing the next level...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Life is not a computer game. When the challenge gets too hard you can't just get blown up, then "respawn" & drop back in the game with more ammo & power ups in the hope of clearing the next level...

That is very true Jaylee, but when some ones mind seems to be not 'functioning properly' (for what ever the reason) they just can't see it that way.

LondonAndy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite
Whilst I do not want in any way to say anything against your belief of reincarnation, I do not pretend to understand it. Would it not follow that you are likely to already be somebody's reincarnation? Do you have any memory of your previous life/lives? What will your next form think of you ending this one at such a young age? I hope it will not be a cliché to cite Professor Stephen Hawking for his incredible achievements despite his motor neurone disease, for example.

Given that your diabetes is well controlled, what advantage is there to ending your life early? Yes, it is annoying to have to think about health matters in our daily lives, but many achieve fantastic things with far worse afflictions to deal with. And what about those around you? How will they feel when you are gone? I am currently single myself, but I am fairly sure friends and family would be upset and miss my bad jokes, if nothing else!

I wish you would reconsider, and celebrate the achievements of the medical profession in coming up with the treatment that enables you to continue living healthily. I feel the need to send a cyber-hug!

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words.. truly appreciate them.
Let me explain myself a little better:

I'm not a religious person, however I believe in reincarnation and progression of the soul…
I was diagnosed 7 years ago, at 30, when was hospitalized 2 weeks with severe keatoacidosis and almost died.
From there I have taken care of my diabetes pretty good, counting every carb I eat and injecting properly, in the past years I've only had a couple of hypo and hyper…
The thing is, I truly believe we are here on earth, on this particular life to give and receive, to teach and learn everything we are capable of… until the time comes when our soul is done with this existence and therefore we need to progress.. to reincarnate in another person or animal, on this planet or perhaps another…
Well I think my time to die came 7 years ago, now I depend of taking insulin shots to survive, that's certainly not natural… what if a new med is invented that could make us live for hundreds of years? Would it be good to take it?
I'm not depressed, but I'm also not afraid of death, for me to die is another step of our existence and should be accepted as a gift, just as we take life as a precious gift… To play with the laws that foresees our existence is a dangerous game… what if I'm doing more wrong to my soul trying to survive when my soul is ready for the next step...

If your "time to die came 7 years ago" you would not be here now. The fact that you are still here means that your number has not come up yet. Apologies for being blunt but I must therefore conclude that your logic is irrational and does not fit with your general fatalistic views.

AND how do you know that you have taught and learnt everything that you are capable of at the age of 37? I would say that most people are only just starting on the path of true learning in thier later years.

Reactions: 5 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your "time to die came 7 years ago" you would not be here now. The fact that you are still here means that your number has not come up yet. Apologies for being blunt but I must therefore conclude that your logic is irrational and does not fit with your general fatalistic views.

AND how do you know that you have taught and learnt everything that you are capable of at the age of 37? I would say that most people are only just starting on the path of true learning in thier later years.
Quite right ... Never met the wife until I was 40 !

Elc1112

I'm sorry if I sound harsh here but have you even stopped for a minute to think what this will do to your friends? Or your family? My mum took her life when I was a child. Left a note. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing that I have ever had to live with. You are here announcing to the world that you're planning to stop taking the medicine that is keeping you alive. You know, the thing that hurt my most when I lost my mum was that it was premeditated. She had been plotting it for weeks. Left a note and everything. She had no idea about the chaos and the damage that she was leaving behind. Losing her was bad enough. Knowing that she had been planning it, though, was so much worse. Stop and think about what you will be doing to those people around you. End of rant.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think quite a few of us have had to cope with persons intentionally killing themselves. You never get over a loss of a son, daughter or mum, dad or friend. I know my bro and sis in law never have.. 20 years on it is still raw to them. The coroners court and identifying the body are the worst experiences I think that any family will ever face.

Reactions: 2 people