Improving Cholesterol numbers

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I posted a few weeks ago about being a little concerned that my cholesterol numbers had suddenly gone up after a year of low carb and good numbers.
Here is the update:
My cholesterol levels were towards the high end of 'normal' except my triglycerides when I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes. On going low carb and eating extra fat my triglycerides fell, which confounded my GP and DN.
More recently my LDL and overall cholesterol started to rise, enough to resurrect the statin issue (I'd said I was going to try low carb instead of metformin with an automatic addon of statins when diagnosed).
However, I did some research myself as it did not make sense to me that my LDL would suddenly rise after being fine on low carb for over a year - as blood tests just 3 months earlier were OK - and found there was some limited evidence that another drug I'd been started on this year for a different condition might be responsible.
So I took in printout from the 3 research papers and told my GP no statins until I'd come off that drug first to check the impact - and yes this week's tests are fine again. My LDL and total have dropped and the ratios they worry about have improved.

About to see the GP, should be interesting ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing you are now better informed about statins and cholesterol than your Gp too.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What was the other drug?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I seem to remember that there have been a few posts about Sertraline, perhaps you might find some info if you use the search function on the forum.