In a different direction... How do I put on weight???

skreechy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm told i'm a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 3 years, my bmi is around 20, i'm 5'10 and slim to skinny, and since being diagnosed and eating better than I did (my diet wasn't overly bad, but i did like a cake :oops: ) I find I'm still losing weight
before becoming unwell i weighed 73 kg, at diagnosis I weighed 67kg, now I bounce between 65-66, but I don't eat big anymore as its no good for my BS, so, my question is,

How, or what do I eat to help me gain some weight?

Any ideas???

Thanks

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
HI Skreechy,
Like you I am underweight 6ft and 69kg, I was 75kg pre diagnosis, at my lowest I was around 65kg. I'm afraid its not easy to gain weight, but my dietitian put me on a high fat diet whilst I've regained some weight I dont think I'll ever get back to pre diagnosis my weight is now stable. I tend to snack on eggs, cheese, nuts, deli meat. Main meals are always lowish carbs plenty of meat veg. I have plenty of double cream, full fat milk between 6 and 8 pints a week. Fat is not a problem as long as you reduce the carbs, recently had my cholesterol checked, doc said It was ok no need for meds.

Best of luck Graham

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd suggest eating a high carb diet to put on weight. Eat lots of bread, pasta and potatoes. In the past I've always found that combining fat with carbs is a surefire way to put on weight. Eat pasta with creamy sauce, eat pizza with lots of cheese and toppings, eat sandwiches with mayonaise.

Conversely, to lose weight, the most effective way I have found is to INCREASE your fat intake, and drastically reduce your carb intake. What do you think would cause you to gain more weight, eating JUST fat, or eating JUST carbs? I think you'd be surprised.

A lot of people on this forum have reported putting on weight after diagnosis by following the recomended dietary advise - which is - eat plenty of carbs.

skreechy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's an arkward one I know, i was advised to steer clear of high fat foods, cheese, cream etc, and eat plenty of starchy carbs, I feel like the doc's are just telling me text book material.

(my GP actually "googled" something while I was there!!)

Patch, the high carb way make my BS too unstable,

Graham, you say yr cholesterol is ok, don't you worry taking on all that fat?

1 doc feels that if I go on to insulin full time, I will gain weight, can this be true?

Jo123

I had this problem have now stablized my weight. I make sure I eat plenty of maccadamia nuts after my meals, about 600 calories a small packet. Add plenty of olive oil to my salads and also I rather like it on my vegetables. I top my salads with walnuts to bump up the calories. I make sure I eat big portions too!

Until I have my next blood test I am a little nervous about increasing the saturated fats too much after years of not eating too many! Like you I have to draw a very fine line between eating enough not to lose weight and keeping my BG's within normal levels, also trouble is if I have a cold and am off my food for a couple of days I can lose 4 or 5 lbs. I actually do not even have diabetes only impaired fasting BG, but since low carbing I feel so much better, even the weight loss at first was wonderful, (was never fat but always wanted to be a size smaller after having children!!) but I did find drawing that line between normal BG's and losing weight very frustrating to get right, hope this helps :D

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Skreechy,
I don't have a problem with fats, my cholesterol is lower now than when I was on a low fat diet. I must add I use Benecol soya drinks and almonds which are said to help lower cholesterol.

Cheers Graham

skreechy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again, you're giving me things to ponder, I'm trying to do the low carb thing, but I feel empty without them!
My choleterol is good, but I don't want it to go up, I'll have to toy with the foods I eat, it just seems odd after 3 years of eat carbs, not too much nuts, 5 portions a day yah de yah, to now retrain, but I see it makes sense, I always wondered, if there are so many diabetics in this country, how come none of my doc's or nurses are diabetic!? That would help me to believe em more.