1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Inappropriate Private Messages

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by DCUKMod, Jul 3, 2019.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Of late, we have had a spate of reports about the content of some Private Messages (PMs). Our Forum Ethos and Rules apply to PMs too.

Should you ever receive an email that you feel is inappropriate, or that concerns you in any way, please do report it. Every message in a PM chain has a Report button under it. Reporting a PM only reports that entry on the chain, not the whole chain.

Just for clarity, inappropriate content within a PM could include, comments of an overly personal nature, bad language, bullying or threatening language, recruitment for research studies or medical trials, offers of products or services. Those are examples, but not necessarily all the reasons it would be appropriate to make a report.

If you receive such a PM and want no more, you should report it, by using the Report button, then leave the conversation. You can leave the conversation, simply by no longer responding to messages, or by clicking the Leave the Conversation link at the beginning of the PM chain.

[​IMG]

From there, you have choices for any subsequent messages.

[​IMG]

I hope that clarifies things a little.

Reporting a post or PM is not telling tales. It is a responsible action, in the light of inappropriate actions. If someone is behaving inappropriately towards you, then other people could also be on the receiving end of things. To be clear,
    We would prefer you report anything that makes you uneasy, than you keep quiet for fear of wasting mod time.

Please act reponsibly.

At DCUK, we take your safety and security seriously. It is important to us all.

Thank you for reading.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

The best way to stop abusive PM's, is to set up your profile so that you only receive PM's from people you follow only.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I tried to PM you earlier and couldn't, so I know this works lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have had a few complaints from others as well that they could not give me advice on where to go by PM.

Staff members have higher privileges that override that PM blocking as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

And the content would have been wholly appropriate but now you'll never know ;)lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree, that would prevent you from getting abusive pm's. But reporting such pm's would let us know where members go wrong so we can do something about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

If you do not receive them, you cannot report them. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly, so then moderators have no idea of who might be bullying other members or extorting or giving dodgy medical advice...
    Not everyone is as IT savvy @Tipetoo

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for posting this.

I have not received anything abusive but about 3 years ago got a pm from a male member that was getting a bit too familiar. I didn't report it but chose to completely ignore the pms from him and he soon gave up

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes me too ally...at about the same time as you. I ignored him as well.

11. DCUKMod

Thanks @ally1 and @zand . Whilst ignoring is definitely a good way forward, it would be helpful should it ever happen again to Report the messages.

The very sad reality is where someone is being inappropriate in "your" inbox, it's quite likely they are being inapprpriate elsewhere too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

But what ally and i find inappropriate others might welcome.

13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If in doubt if something is worth reporting you can always say so in your report. Reporting only means we have a look at it and know about it if other members report the same person.
    Reporting doesn't necessarily mean you think something is bad. I've even reported my own post to make sure mods were noticing a particular going on on the forum.

14. DCUKMod

Of course, that's true of almost anything.

15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It is not being IT savvy, but commonsense to learn how to use the XenForo forum software safely as a user.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook