Inappropriate Private Messages

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of late, we have had a spate of reports about the content of some Private Messages (PMs). Our Forum Ethos and Rules apply to PMs too.

Should you ever receive an email that you feel is inappropriate, or that concerns you in any way, please do report it. Every message in a PM chain has a Report button under it. Reporting a PM only reports that entry on the chain, not the whole chain.

Just for clarity, inappropriate content within a PM could include, comments of an overly personal nature, bad language, bullying or threatening language, recruitment for research studies or medical trials, offers of products or services. Those are examples, but not necessarily all the reasons it would be appropriate to make a report.

If you receive such a PM and want no more, you should report it, by using the Report button, then leave the conversation. You can leave the conversation, simply by no longer responding to messages, or by clicking the Leave the Conversation link at the beginning of the PM chain.

upload_2019-7-3_19-33-43-png.34084

From there, you have choices for any subsequent messages.

upload_2019-7-3_19-34-11-png.34085

I hope that clarifies things a little.

Reporting a post or PM is not telling tales. It is a responsible action, in the light of inappropriate actions. If someone is behaving inappropriately towards you, then other people could also be on the receiving end of things. To be clear,
We would prefer you report anything that makes you uneasy, than you keep quiet for fear of wasting mod time.

Please act reponsibly.

At DCUK, we take your safety and security seriously. It is important to us all.

Thank you for reading.

D

Deleted member 308541

The best way to stop abusive PM's, is to set up your profile so that you only receive PM's from people you follow only.

Reactions: zand
D

Deleted member 308541

I tried to PM you earlier and couldn't, so I know this works lol
I have had a few complaints from others as well that they could not give me advice on where to go by PM.

Staff members have higher privileges that override that PM blocking as well.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the content would have been wholly appropriate but now you'll never know ;)lol.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The best way to stop abusive PM's, is to set up your profile so that you only receive PM's from people you follow only.
Agree, that would prevent you from getting abusive pm's. But reporting such pm's would let us know where members go wrong so we can do something about it.

D

Deleted member 308541

Agree, that would prevent you from getting abusive pm's. But reporting such pm's would let us know where members go wrong so we can do something about it.
If you do not receive them, you cannot report them. :D

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If you do not receive them, you cannot report them. :D
Exactly, so then moderators have no idea of who might be bullying other members or extorting or giving dodgy medical advice...
Not everyone is as IT savvy @Tipetoo

Reactions: KK123

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Thank you for posting this.

I have not received anything abusive but about 3 years ago got a pm from a male member that was getting a bit too familiar. I didn't report it but chose to completely ignore the pms from him and he soon gave up

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting this.

I have not received anything abusive but about 3 years ago got a pm from a male member that was getting a bit too familiar. I didn't report it but chose to completely ignore the pms from him and he soon gave up

Yes me too ally...at about the same time as you. I ignored him as well.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ally1 and @zand . Whilst ignoring is definitely a good way forward, it would be helpful should it ever happen again to Report the messages.

The very sad reality is where someone is being inappropriate in "your" inbox, it's quite likely they are being inapprpriate elsewhere too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ally1 and @zand . Whilst ignoring is definitely a good way forward, it would be helpful should it ever happen again to Report the messages.

The very sad reality is where someone is being inappropriate in "your" inbox, it's quite likely they are being inapprpriate elsewhere too.
But what ally and i find inappropriate others might welcome.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But what ally and i find inappropriate others might welcome.
If in doubt if something is worth reporting you can always say so in your report. Reporting only means we have a look at it and know about it if other members report the same person.
Reporting doesn't necessarily mean you think something is bad. I've even reported my own post to make sure mods were noticing a particular going on on the forum.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been a while since we bumped this thread.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bumping this thread again.
Should you receive a Private Message asking for personal information or contact details, please report this message.

Think very well about your online safety and the information you want to share with a stranger from the internet before replying to such a request.