Increase carbs after low carb

alaska

Is there anyone on here that has increased their carb intake after having previously done low carb or very low carb?

I was very low carb for a few years but steadily increased my carbs back to a moderate level. Currently, I have about 130g per day.

The reason I increased carbs was two-fold:

1. I may have been getting great results shortly after meals but I was getting high sugars before the next meal (8-10 mmol/l)
2. It was easier preparing meals if my partner and I were eating roughly the same thing

Since then, however, I have got better at controlling the mid meal rises and have a Libre.

So now, I'm wondering should I go back and give very low carb another chance?

I'm also wondering whether there are others that were low or very low carb and have chosen to increase their carbs.

If you have chosen to increase your carbs, what were your reasons?

Ed

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do whatever works for you @alaska :) We're all different. The important thing is to control your sugars, and sadly there's no magic diet that will do that.

Finding a level of carbs that works for you seems most sensible. That's what I've done, having experimented with a variety of diets over the years.

Reactions: Dodo

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never gone super low carbs. I'm probably like you 130g/day or so. The problem I see doing that is taking a bolus dose of Novolog and potentially getting low because there's not much rise in BS. So you don't take much short acting. Then the non carbs you ate finally break down and your BS goes up before the next meal cause there's not enough insulin on board. That may be what happened to you. Makes sense.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never gone super low carbs. I'm probably like you 130g/day or so. The problem I see doing that is taking a bolus dose of Novolog and potentially getting low because there's not much rise in BS. So you don't take much short acting. Then the non carbs you ate finally break down and your BS goes up before the next meal cause there's not enough insulin on board. That may be what happened to you. Makes sense.
Thats exactly what happened to me. A drop then a spike. Felt nasty. I do much better on very few carbs.