Increase Protein Intake

Theblarney

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I believe I am not taking on enough protein in my meals and also help muscle repair once I have finished cycling 3-4 times a week.

I am trying to find a protein powder that won't affect blood sugars too much. Ideally, I am looking for a sachet or something for convenience.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I believe I am not taking on enough protein in my meals and also help muscle repair once I have finished cycling 3-4 times a week.

I am trying to find a protein powder that won't affect blood sugars too much. Ideally, I am looking for a sachet or something for convenience.

Thanks

Gavin

I can't say I've been a fan or user of protein powders, but would it maybe be simpler to just eat more protein at meals?

Theblarney

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I guess it’s possible but I am looking for something after exercise too, I don’t want to be cooking up something when I get back in the evening

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are at home following your exercise, then having cold meat, cheese or boiled eggs in the fridge would be even quicker than using a protein powder that needs making up into a smoothie.

Having said that, when I was looking at protein powders (which is 3 years ago), the hemp and pea protein ones seemed to be lowest in carbs, which would impact blood glucose the least. There were a few egg white protein powders available too, but they were exceedingly expensive.

Can't make any suggestions about brands that are in sachets, though.

M

Member496333

In my view you will be far better served by eating genuine food rather than factory-made mixtures or potions. The convenience factor is understandable but, as has already been said, there are heaps of protein-containing snacks or easy meals that can be conveniently stored in the fridge for instant access. Half a dozen gooey centered hard boiled eggs are my favourite. They can be prepared in advance. Eggs are nature’s nutrition grenades, as opposed to being what amounts to little more than processed food :)

Reactions: Shas3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be a third/fourth for advocating food as a protein source rather than a concoction of stuff from a lab.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much protein is in a sachet compared to a chunk of cheese and a handful of nuts and a boiled egg ?
Carol

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
As above, the ideal is food, however you asked for gulp-and-go suggestions for when you feel you need protein but don’t feel like actually eating.

- Great Lakes makes their college hydrolysate in individual packets. Not complete protein, but would help with joint/connective tissue repair post exercise.
- You can add regular gelatin to warm liquids and drink it before it jells, or cool it to make your own jello or high protein ***** bear type things. I actually make my ***** bears with regular gelatin and add the collagen hydrolysate for extra joint and connective tissue support.
- I used to like Premier Protein and seem to remember the single serving liquids had fewer carbs than the powder and definitely fewer than their bars.
- There are some bone broth powders out there, but I found their flavors a bit off. Would rather just drink my own homemade broth.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I would go with food too. You know what's in it.

Cold meats and cheese from the fridge takes some beating as a grab and go.

Especially at the price of those powders.

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve used whey protein in the past, specifically myprotein “impact whey protein” I always found that to be fine and didn’t cause me any grief with blood sugar. However everyone is different and affected in different ways. I used the unflavoured one as this with lovely sounding flavours tend to have more carbs. If you look on their website it tells you the macros.

All the best

Pete

wellperson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
WOW I AM REALLY WORRIED THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO INCREASE ANIMAL PROTEIN.. THERE IS A PROGRAM CALLED MASTERING DIABETES SUMMIT 2019 ON NOW THAT IS RUN BY 2 TYPE 1 DIABETICS FOR ALL TYPE OF DIABETICS AND WHO WENT DOWN THE ROUTE OF KETO AND FOUND THEY HAD NO ENERGY AND THEIR INSULIN RESISTANCE WENT UP AND THEY NEEDED MORE AND MORE DRUGS TO BRING THEIR BLOOD SUGARS DOWN.. THEY RESEARCHED INCLUDING ONE OF THEM GETTING THEIR PHD IN NUTRITIONAL SCIENCE AND SWITCHED TO A LOW FAT WHOLE PLANT FOOD DIET AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK. CHECK IT OUT!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEART!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
WOW I AM REALLY WORRIED THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO INCREASE ANIMAL PROTEIN.. THERE IS A PROGRAM CALLED MASTERING DIABETES SUMMIT 2019 ON NOW THAT IS RUN BY 2 TYPE 1 DIABETICS FOR ALL TYPE OF DIABETICS AND WHO WENT DOWN THE ROUTE OF KETO AND FOUND THEY HAD NO ENERGY AND THEIR INSULIN RESISTANCE WENT UP AND THEY NEEDED MORE AND MORE DRUGS TO BRING THEIR BLOOD SUGARS DOWN.. THEY RESEARCHED INCLUDING ONE OF THEM GETTING THEIR PHD IN NUTRITIONAL SCIENCE AND SWITCHED TO A LOW FAT WHOLE PLANT FOOD DIET AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK. CHECK IT OUT!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEART!!

Eating animal protein isn't going to damage someone's heart imo.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your need to shout speaks volumes..
Cyrus and co sell a great idea but look at the testimonials on that site and there are very few (any?) from T2's who have successfully reversed using a WFPB way of eating..Animal protein is not harmful to the body and has been mankinds main source of nutrition for millennia. It would be most odd if it were killing us...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Ah, the WFPB pushing of the 'sat fat causes insulin resistance' garbage. Well and truly busted.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I disagree with @wellperson. There is too much vegetarian, religion-based mantra already.
I have sardines after exercise. Lots of protein, omega-3, and fats.
There is a new Running book due out written by Professor Tim Noakes whose first book on this was carb based.
He has rethought things and realised that ketosis is the way to go for runners and has been involved in discussion with some of the top athletes in this regard.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
LOL IM LOVING THIS.

:angelic::angelic::)

Unfortunatly it works here and im glad im not vegan which goes against most of my morrolls.
But everyone is alowed to choose. :):):)

LRD

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in the US at UAB, University of Alabama in Birmingham Hospital, they are pushing WFPB. Whole foods, Plant based. I checked at a Vitamin Health Food Store and they recommended Vega, Vanilla. Have not tried it and will ask my PCP if that is ok to start to get rid of my excess weight. I am a LADA and insulin dependent. Just a suggestion, since you want something quick.

Jayderb

Hi,

Thanks

Gavin

Hi,

I have been looking into this recently and I am still not convinced of going back into powders following diagnosis (my consultant is yet to decide if I am T1 or T2 - long story for another day)

I weight train and run but have a novice triathlon background and understand the nutrition needs that come with long distance cycling.

Agreeing with most here, I strongly advocate for wholesome foods in lieu of processed powder mainly due to the fact that I only trust the contents of what I process from raw materials myself bar a few items like peanut butter and dark chocolate.

That said and done, I understand the hunger and need for instant nutrition following long rides. Personally I go for a mixture of Skyr and wholesome peanut butter and on odd days I might add half a banana (watching the carbs). This seems to work for me especially following a heavy weight session as the protein from skyr is slow release and I wake up feeling a bit more energised than if I don’t. I hope you find something that works for you.

NewlyLADA

I always have cooked chicken and babybel cheese at quick reach, I also go through a lot of peanut butter and I love almond butter.
I but chicken breasts skinned and put my own spices on and bake at 350 for 25-45 minutes depending on thickness I cook on a broil pan but cookie sheet or glass pan will do too, you can also cook chicken tenders frozen for 25 minutes cook a whole bag up eat it over the next few days or chop on bite size pieces and freeze if you make too much. Babybel cheese here in US has 0 carbs 0 sugar yet 5 grams of protein... this is a easy way to have my carbs/protein quick as well.
I hope you find your easy!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @NewlyLADA,
If you read work on the insulin index you will see that some of the protein we eat gets changed by the liver into glucose.
So that applies to cheese, chicken and peanut butter. (which has carbs and protein).
So it is possible that for each Babybel cheese will produce about 2.5 g of carbs.
Just to give you the full picture as it is known at this time !!

Reactions: NewlyLADA