Indian Takeaway, Okay for Low Carb/Hi Fat?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken Tikka not too spicy and pretty low carb maybe with a spinach or mushroom bajhi?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missing my Indian - unfortunately the best restraunt we go to is still closed after the December floods - as are a lot of my favourite local restaurants - I make a lovely tandoori chicken with curried cauli and cucumber riata - it's in the recipe section

I go for spinach based and tandoori and drier curries with paneer and stir fried ocra as side dishes - my one concession is a onion bhaji

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have:

1 x poppadom
no rice, bread or potato dishes
saag paneer side dish (spinach and cheese :hungry:)
brinjal bhaji (aubergine and tomato and onion :wacky:)
either chicken shashlik or butter chicken or tandoori chicken or a balti

Repeated testing has shown that, for me, this meal is not only DELICIOUS it raises my bg from the low 5s to the mid 6s, where it stays for several hours, before drifting gently down to the 5s again. No spike. No indigestion (that only happens from mixing carbs and proteins). I also sleep well after this, and wake up feeling goooood. None of that takeaway hangover nonsense!

Reactions: 8 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I usually have:

1 x poppadom

Repeated testing has shown that, for me, this meal is not only DELICIOUS it raises my bg from the low 5s to the mid 6s, where it stays for several hours, before drifting gently down to the 5s again. No spike. No indigestion (that only happens from mixing carbs and proteins). I also sleep well after this, and wake up feeling goooood. None of that takeaway hangover nonsense!

Agreed. There are so many veg dishes available to go with meat, there's no danger of feeling deprived.
Fran, although you might not want to hear it, you need to try and adapt your taste buds, passanda and korma is just so sweet, it will affect you. My OH would eat nothing but korma, no matter what I suggested "don't like it". A few months ago, he decided to try a mouthful of my curry, he was shocked that it wasn't too spicy and that seemed to spark an interest. He doesn't get Korma at all now, finds it sickly sweet and gets something like a bhuna, last week he had dopiaza for the first time - and loved it. Maybe try some other tastes that aren't too spicy?

Reactions: 2 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi @FranOnTheEdge , I too enjoy a nice spicy Indian curry and have cooked many from scratch. For a really simple and tasty curry I can heartily recommend Jamie Oliver's homemade curry pastes www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/easy-homemade-curry-pastes. You can use them with any meats or veg of your choice and are delicious with cauliflower rice with a knob of butter and fresh chopped coriander. Scrummy!!

Well unfortunately I don't enjoy spicy curries - if by 'spicy' you mean 'hot'. It's been my biggest problem (pre my diabetes diagnosis) how would YOU like to be relegated to mostly just 1 flavour of curry: Korma?

I find that NOTHING is delicious with cauliflower rice, and fresh coriander makes me want to hurl. I'm much too picky I'm afraid.
Post diagnosis I once tried making my own Makhani - took me 3 or 4 days of research and when made it was... well, kindest thing to say is: it wasn't Makhani, it didn't really taste like curry, but it was at least edible. But I wouldn't make it again. Too many spices with a sweet note, cloves, and something else I can't remember off-hand. Oh cinnamon.
At least it didn't have any carbs in it and now that I've discovered that fats like cream are okay, I could make it with cream instead of yoghurt, if that would freeze alright, I don't know if it would or not though. (I made the other one intending to add yoghurt after defrosting each potful of it.)

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agreed. There are so many veg dishes available to go with meat, there's no danger of feeling deprived.
Fran, although you might not want to hear it, you need to try and adapt your taste buds, passanda and korma is just so sweet, it will affect you. My OH would eat nothing but korma, no matter what I suggested "don't like it". A few months ago, he decided to try a mouthful of my curry, he was shocked that it wasn't too spicy and that seemed to spark an interest. He doesn't get Korma at all now, finds it sickly sweet and gets something like a bhuna, last week he had dopiaza for the first time - and loved it. Maybe try some other tastes that aren't too spicy?
I cannot adjust my taste buds to accept high amounts of chillies, my eyes weep, my entire mouth, lips and throat burns - I hate it intensely. I hate not being able to taste your dinner at all, and I hate it taking 4 hours to eat just a small part of it. Frankle I hate bloody chillies!! (and anything else hot. Seshwan peppercorns, stuff like that.)
I would LOVE to eat a balti, jalfreizzi, bhuna, phaal, masala - at a scovil level that I can actually stand. (i.e. zero) But my one attempt at making my own curry was not a success.
My husband eats hot curries and often says things like - "you'd like this one, it's not hot at all."
He lies!!! lol! And I know because sometimes I start to beleive him, enough to try a taste - but it's awful stuff!

I really canNOT understand how people can eat food that you simply cannot possibly taste. What is the point?

Puff, pant... grr... sorry, you got me on a raw spot.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Because many dishes aren't swimming with chilies and heat? I used to make biriyani with cardom!on being the main ingredient - not hot at all. But as I've obviously hit a nerve, I'll bow out of the thread.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The good news (for me) is that I have discovered that I rather like butternut squash noodles, so that could easily replace rice.
I had that tonight with a tomato, bacon and mushroom sauce, with scallops in their shells in a creamy white wine sauce - I've never had scallops before - so that's 2 things I liked today. A great improvement and although my readings went up they didn't go up anything like as much as they did with the Passanda. I've ordered more strips, but until they come I'll have to be careful to only eat things that I know how they affect me - I've got just 3 strips left...

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because many dishes aren't swimming with chilies and heat? I used to make biriyani with cardom!on being the main ingredient - not hot at all. But as I've obviously hit a nerve, I'll bow out of the thread.
No don't do that, I'm feeling much better now I've blown off some steam. I'd love to know about your byriani with cardomon, I love cardomons.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I usually have:

1 x poppadom

Takeaway hangovers? I've never heard of that. and I've almost never had indigestion... yet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm confused, @FranOnTheEdge

Your chosen title for this thread was 'indian takeaway, OK for LCHF?'
You had had a lot of answers, almost unanimously answering 'Yes! Indian takaways are very suitable for LCHF!'

But now you say you don't like curries. Because they use spices.

Oh well, hopefully other people will benefit from the efforts people have made answering your question. :)

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I sometimes have curry on shredded lettuce instead if rice. Fortunately, our local curry house published a recipe book so we can recreate their dishes and tweak them for lower carbs.
That's what I had with the Passanda, so it must be whatever they made the sauce with. Sadly.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did also have an onion bhagi with the Passanda, is that made from carbs do you think?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm confused, @FranOnTheEdge

Your chosen title for this thread was 'indian takeaway, OK for LCHF?'
You had had a lot of answers, almost unanimously answering 'Yes! Indian takaways are very suitable for LCHF!'

But now you say you don't like curries. Because they use spices.

Oh well, hopefully other people will benefit from the efforts people have made answering your question. :)
I'm confused too, there are such a lot of different types of curries, mostly ones I can't eat. (due to heat) It's not spices, it's just the hot things. I love cardomon, cumin and fennel seeds, things like that - no problem at all... It's hard trying to rearrange recipes, to make a curry that tastes okay but doesn't burn the mouth, I'm just so sensitive to scoville heat - sorry.
Up to now I've obviously liked all the 'Bad for you' curries... I want to try other varieties, but it takes me a while to summon up the courage to try and make something that new to me. And I'm starting to panic because I've eaten all the meals I had stashed in the freezer.

Think I'd better go away now..... before I upset everybody.

S

serenity648

I have a reaction to all chillis. My lips tingle, my tongue tingles and it last for hours. So I dont have chillies in anything. Including curry. I simply make it without the chilli.

Reactions: 4 people

ShortStuff

Just reviving this very old thread to see what success you’ve had Fran? As I think we’d gave similar taste.

I see Fran hasn’t posted in 3 months but hopefully she’s lurking!

I can’t eat hot things anymore , my tongue burns...no idea what changed as I used to be able to.

Anyway a while ago I tried a new Indian takeaway place and it’s amazing. Until I got my latest HbA1c result (65 OUCH) I was ordering from there probably once a fortnight trying different things. I’m vegetarian. I ordered their cauliflower Bhaji ( expecting it to be like an onion Bahaji (deep fried ball type) but it arrived as a wet dish, I was disappointed until I tried it then I fell in love its Amazing!

Since I climbed back up on the LC wagon I have ordered from there, but as soon as my daily readings are back in the ‘non diabetic’ range (almost there) I’m going to give it a go test test test

I’ve looked at lots of recipes for LC INDIAN BUT haven’t found one that looks anything like theirs, but I will try making some indian Food from scratch myself as I really do prefer to know exactly what’s in my food

I thought about ringing them to see if they knew the carb count or would tell me what’s in it, but their English isn’t terribly good and I don’t speak their language at all I wish they sold a cookbook (like a previous poster said their curry place does) I’d buy it for sure! Just for that recipe alone.

My purse will miss being able to order the naan & rice, but if I can eat it without spiking I’ll wear the cost (£9 for a small dish. Normally bulked up with naan or rice).

Reactions: FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I occasionally buy butter chicken or similar things with little or no heat whatsoever. I now never buy either rice or naan. If I have an Indian takeaway at all I just bung a cauliflower rice from Iceland in the microwave to go with it. Otherwise it's just the ubiquitous salad.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
headbangers kitchen on youtube is fab for low carb indian recipes