Induction or c section how did you choose?

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello you lovely lot
I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. Everything has been good so far (touch wood)
My consultant has said we will discuss a birth plan at 32 weeks but has always said I won't be left till 38 weeks due to being on medication for blood pressure and type one.
My question to you is how did you choose between induction or c section and what factors made you choose what you did?
I think I want a c section, as I don't want to be left for days trying to bring on labour at 37 weeks, and possibly the risk of a still birth or harm to the baby increasing. I'm scared to google things so any advice I would appreciate it.
Many thanks everyone ;-)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Scarlet10 and congratulations on your news :)

I was induced at 37 weeks, I wasn't given an option for a c section, simply went into hospital on a Friday, then spent the weekend being induced and finally taken for a c section first thing on the Monday morning after baby turned. It's entirely up to you what option you go for if you are being offered both, remember that the induction is offered as babies are generally bigger than 'normal' babies due to the diabetes hence the reason for inducing early so that's why it's not a normal situation. Whatever decision you choose you must be happy with it ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello you lovely lot
I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. Everything has been good so far (touch wood)
My consultant has said we will discuss a birth plan at 32 weeks but has always said I won't be left till 38 weeks due to being on medication for blood pressure and type one.
My question to you is how did you choose between induction or c section and what factors made you choose what you did?
I think I want a c section, as I don't want to be left for days trying to bring on labour at 37 weeks, and possibly the risk of a still birth or harm to the baby increasing. I'm scared to google things so any advice I would appreciate it.
Many thanks everyone ;-)

I had wrongly assumed my consultant would say I needed a C section, but she told me that they prefer induction as its better for baby. The reasons she gave was that a section doesn't squeeze/prepare/stimulate the baby's lungs like a natural birth does. She also told me that because of the potential for lung problems she wouldn't do a section before 39wks whereas induction would be at the normal 37/38wks.

That was a real,education for me as I hadn't known that about the lung development.

She then said that if I wanted a section I could have one, but I refused after further discussion with her about what she'd said.

Yes, occasionally inductions take a while. Mine did, but that's only because my body doesn't react well to the induction drug. Even though it took a while I still gave birth naturally and my son is fine :)

So, I guess what I'm saying is speak to your OB about your individual circumstances, ask their advice (ie what they'd do if it was them and why) and read up as much as you can.

Only you can decide so discuss and research and then you'll be happy with your decision :)

As an aside, the reason ladies with diabetes are induced is due to the increased risk of stillbirth and placental insufficiency. That informed my decision too.

Red shaw

You get a choice?
I was induced 17 years ago, after 40 hours I had an emergency c-section. Afterwards my clinic told me they did an audit and of the induced mothers (all of us) 75% had a c-section. I thought they should have just done the section in the first place. However, when I finally had my second child 6 years later, we discovered that the section had caused dreadful adhesions and the 2nd emergency section had to be performed unconventionally and it explained the extreme pain I had been in during the preganancy. I don't think either option is easy. I wish you a happy pregnancy and healthy baby.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow - those are high figures! I asked my OB about my hospitals' stats and they were nothing like as high, but this was recently so maybe they've got better at choosing appropriate things for different women.

I do know that an epidural increases your risk of a section.

Red shaw

If you are induced you will want an epidural. The problem with early induction is that the baby may not have its head engaged and the labour can go off course.

Reactions: Scarlet10

grannyx3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With my first child I was induced at 38 weeks and had a 7 hour labour and my son's weight was 5lb 12oz. With my second child I was left until full term and delivered normally, my daughter weighed 7lb 10oz. With my last child, a boy, I went into premature labour at 32 weeks but delivered normally. All three children fit and healthy. No pregnancy and delivery is the same. The decision is yours but I suggest you listen to what your obstetrician and the consultant looking after you for your diabetes. Mine worked hand in hand and the care and support was excellent. During the delivery of all three of my children both my obstetrician and diabetes consultant were with me throughout. Things move on, and the management/support for both the mother and safe delivery of her child is probably very different now because I had my first child 38 years ago. Let them all support and guide you. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy, you will come to the right decision for both you and your baby, things will fall into place. Exciting times to look forward too ...... enjoy.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was induced and I didn't have an epidural :)
I agree... I have been induced 6 times and am pregnant with no.7... will be induced this time too... 1st baby needed epidural, but didn't know all the info, it became a ventuse delivery... that was the only one I had epidural with... the last 4 were without pain relief and hoping to do it again this time too!

I will say though... it isn't a competition. Everyone is different... everyone feels pain differently. If you need pain relief go for it and don't feel like you have failed... YOU HAVEN'T. I chose not to have pain relief for reasons that are unique to me... being that medication doesn't go down well with me... all that matters is having that baby at the end of it! I would say it may be that induction suits you better... I would try this way first because of the down side of c-section not only to you and your baby. Induction May take longer sometimes but sometimes it is A LOT FASTER. It all depends on you.

Remember... you may write a birthing plan... it doesn't always go to plan... in fact it never does. Don't be hard on yourself. It isn't a competition it is about being as laid back and comfortable as you can be in this most fantastic and life changing time of your life!

Reactions: Scarlet10 and azure

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was induced on my first at 38 weeks following a hospitalised low and low fluid levels took 4 days and had a natural birth with forceps in the end. It was very intense pain wise as babs was no way near ready to be born. My waters went naturally on my second at 37 weeks (was booked in for induction at 38 weeks) and I ended up having a section . I had epidurals on both after the four day induction on the first once I got the epidural I went from 0-10cm in 9 mins and babs was delivered and was 6lb 9ozs and didn't need any treatment in NICU for low blood sugar. Second babs was 7lb 12oz and I'd spent 9 hrs on the drip and didn't dilate past the 1cm I was when I went in and the section was the result of failure of labour to progress. She spent 3 days in NICU due to low blood sugars. Recovery from my section was a hell of a lot easier and quicker than my natural birth and if I'd had a choice I would've opted for a section but that's just me. In the end I was just happy to not be pregnant anymore lol. Sections are more prevalent in mothers who have been induced. Wishing you a happy and healthy time for the rest of your pregnancy.

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't aware you could choose a c section!
I had GD with my son 7 years ago, along with other complications so I was induced at 37+3. From induction to birth it was 15 hours, but a lot of that was walking around, trying to get labour started.
My waters were broken, I was given the drip and active labour was around 4 hours.
I asked for an epidural but they said no.

I was on gas and air for around an hour but they took it off me and then I had no pain relief.

I was put on another drip as my contractions were strong but not long enough.
I only recently discovered that I lost a litre of blood as I haemorrhaged.

Nothing really went to plan, not as far as my birthplan anyway, but it went OK and I had a healthy boy at the end of it.

This time around I'm 9 weeks now. I have type 2 and my obstetrician has said I'll be induced between 38 & 40 weeks, barring any other complications.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do differently this time, including not being confined to the bed for hours without being able to move!

I don't think I'd want a planned c section, but that's mainly based on the risks of a later birth with diabetes added in. And recovery time too.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Congratulations on your pregnancy and all the best with the birth! My daughter was born 16 years ago. I was originally meant to have a C-section and was booked in for one at 38 weeks but then had to go into hospital at 37 weeks because of swelling, protein and slightly high BP and the team decided it would be worth going straight for induction and epidural. But after induction things happened very quickly and in the event there was no time for the epidural either as I had a very quick labour (just over an hour) and I was hypo so had to be on a glucose drip through labour and for some time after! Our baby was delivered healthy and strong. So whatever you plan, be ready for something else to happen! The only advice I would give is that I wish I hadn't needed the diamorphine because between that and going hypo, I was too drowsy to know what was going on and it was a bit scary, so if you need painkillers and have a chance for something other than diamorphine, I would recommend the alternative. All the best.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't aware you could choose a c section!
I had GD with my son 7 years ago, along with other complications so I was induced at 37+3. From induction to birth it was 15 hours, but a lot of that was walking around, trying to get labour started.
My waters were broken, I was given the drip and active labour was around 4 hours.
I asked for an epidural but they said no.

I was on gas and air for around an hour but they took it off me and then I had no pain relief.

I was put on another drip as my contractions were strong but not long enough.
I only recently discovered that I lost a litre of blood as I haemorrhaged.

Nothing really went to plan, not as far as my birthplan anyway, but it went OK and I had a healthy boy at the end of it.

This time around I'm 9 weeks now. I have type 2 and my obstetrician has said I'll be induced between 38 & 40 weeks, barring any other complications.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do differently this time, including not being confined to the bed for hours without being able to move!

I don't think I'd want a planned c section, but that's mainly based on the risks of a later birth with diabetes added in. And recovery time too.
Hi, I know how scary it is going into labour after a bad one!

You won't be confined to bed anymore... unless you have an epidural!

With my first few I hated having to be monitored constantly which meant having to stay in bed and not be able to move and be comfortable (as best as possible) or at least find a position that helped through contractions. But now they attach a a lead to baby's head which means you can walk-around... it also was "nice" to know you were advancing because you could feel baby moving down (the leads got longer the further down baby came).
I find food however is worse so make sure you bring some menus with you!

D

Deleted member 83869

I was originally supposed to be induced around 37/38 weeks...However, I had polyhydroamniosis (think that's what it was called...too much fluid) and at 33 weeks baby was measuring too big!! So they decided to induce me at 33+5...however the induction failed so I had an emergency c section at 34 weeks. They do try for "natural' labour/induction! x