jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Guys and Gals,

I‘m 50yrs old and love to ride my bike, used to be anything from 20-70 miles, but now 20-40 miles. The past couple of years and after have Long Covid for 9 months I want to get back on it, but I’ve put weight on, all in the mid section. Feels like I’m bloated in the belly and love handles to die for, or not. 121kg but am 6.1 and we’ll built, but I just can’t lose the weight to start enjoying riding my bike Further again.

So I’ve been on YouTube watched all the videos and now confused as to what’s right and wrong, I know for a fact I’m taking too much insulin due to my healthy organic diet, but want to consider giving up Carbs to help me lose weight and lower the insulin doses to help me with weight loss but I’m confused as to what I can eat as need to fuel my bike rides at the same time.

Anyone point me in to the right direction, it would be appreciated

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys and Gals,

I‘m 50yrs old and love to ride my bike, used to be anything from 20-70 miles, but now 20-40 miles. The past couple of years and after have Long Covid for 9 months I want to get back on it, but I’ve put weight on, all in the mid section. Feels like I’m bloated in the belly and love handles to die for, or not. 121kg but am 6.1 and we’ll built, but I just can’t lose the weight to start enjoying riding my bike Further again.

So I’ve been on YouTube watched all the videos and now confused as to what’s right and wrong, I know for a fact I’m taking too much insulin due to my healthy organic diet, but want to consider giving up Carbs to help me lose weight and lower the insulin doses to help me with weight loss but I’m confused as to what I can eat as need to fuel my bike rides at the same time.

Anyone point me in to the right direction, it would be appreciated
Hi there.

Firstly, I'm not going to comment on whether you are taking too much insulin or not, because that wouldn't be appropriate.

If you do want to explore T1, low carb/keto and exercise, you could do wrse that have a look at Dr Ian Lake, who is a GP in Gloucestershire, long standing T1 who eats a keto diet and distance runs. I am is a lovely guy and a real supporter for those who want to explore that diet and way of living.

Another useful resource could be a Facebook group called Type 1 Grit.
My only comment on your use of insulin and adopting a low carb/keto lifestyle is that if you are changing your diet, you must be comfortable and confident about carb counting, in order to alter your insulin doses accordingly. If you are not comfortable carb counting or adjusting your doses, it could be quite dangerous, as many people find their insulin requirements drop.