Ingrowing toe nails and diabetes

bluestar

I have had two incidences of ingrowing toe nails this year. Just had minor surgery for one of them and the podietrist is monitoring the other one. Is this a common problem for people with diabetes. :eek:

Before I was diagnosed I never had problems with my toe nails.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I think that diabetes is more likely to make ingrowing nails more susceptible to infection. Diabetic neuropathy can also make it difficult to appreciate a deteriorating ingrowing nail. There does not seem to be much out there in internet land to suggest that diabetes causes them. Perhaps your GP or podiatrist may have access to different information.

Regards

Doug

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I doubt if it's caused by iabetes, but it could be more serious
Having said that, I've been prone to ingrowing toenails all my adult life [diabetic only 10 years] I have what are called Morton's Feet, where the first metatarsal on each foot is short. this makes the second toe project in front of the big toe.
It can make ingrowing more likely.
I used to go to the doc and end up on antibiotics. As soon as I finished the course, the problem came back. then I went to the podiatrist, who clipped down the side of the nail and lifed out he troublesome bit with forceps. Treated the toe with iodine and a dressing and I'd be OK for months.
I noted how she did the clipping, so I got myelf the right kind of clippers and whenever I feel the problem starting, I clip and remove the spur bit. I've kept my toes healthy several years now. If I do get a problem I can't deal with myself, I'll go back to the podiatrists.
I also wear socks with separate toes, which also helps.
Hana