1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injecting in my car - funny

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by joelcam, Oct 7, 2011.

1. joelcam

joelcam · Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted to share this with you.

I was injecting in my car today in an Asda car park, as I was about to eat some lunch in the car then drive back to work.

I heard a knock on my window just after putting my gear away and there was an old lady asking me to open the window, which I duly did. I then for a minute assumed I may have accidentally parked in a disabled spot but then realised I wasn't as I was confronted with "You ought to be ashamed of yourself doing your drugs like that in broad daylight". I replied along the lines of "No, love this is insulin I am a diabetic - I have to inject before I eat". Which she countered with "Really, where your food then, I think I'll go and see the security guards". I was then not so polite and I told her what I thought of her as she was walking off. Really annoyed me. I then realised she may have been referring to my crack pipe and 12 inch joint I had just finished rolling. (Obviously the last sentence is untrue but this was a funny lunch time!)

2. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow! Really? I wouldn't have let it go at that...

3. jessie

jessie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ha ha, love it. People like that aren't worth getting angry about!

4. Snodger

Snodger · Well-Known Member

ooh you have much more patience and sense of humour about it than I would have done!

5. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I understand you reaction but I also think she was very brave! Imagine what could have happened if you really had been a junkie on a short fuse!

Viv 8)

6. Fallenstar

Fallenstar · Well-Known Member

Just an old busy body with nothing better to do.

I'd have told her to mind her own bees wax :lol: It may have been said in a more "exasperated:wink: " manner if she had caught me last week :lol:

7. moonstone

moonstone · Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience when first diagnosed - injecting in a loo in a pub - this girl was banging aggressively on the door telling me to hurry up so I said I'd be out soon but it was going to take a minute because I was just injecting insulin. She went totally nuts, calling me all kinds of names ("you NASTY girl" came up a lot), nothing I said would shut her up, she said she was going to get the police... I was fed up, so I said "Go on then." Then I finally mentioned the word 'diabetes' (I'd tried 'insulin' several times and it had so far not worked) and she instantly started grovelling for my forgiveness. And when I came out of the cubicle she made me agree that she was a really "big person" for saying sorry. True story.

8. Herbie72

Herbie72 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic story! Have not had that yet, thankfully, but bet it happens more often than you'd think. Nosey old cow :lolol:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook