Injecting in public?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I hated injected in public I was bullied for years because Done an injection a birthday party group of 15 boys spread about where I lived telling everybody that I was an addict or I was a dealer they stole my food After I had injected or stole my injections from my bag when I was ordering food it became more like a phobia I hated it I couldn't inject in public and I hate injecting front of anybody I hate people knowing that I even had diabetes I hated it so much I stopped eating i stopped injecting I refused to take my insulant I refused to be a diabetic I ended up with diabetic neuropathy at the age of 19 doctors telling me that I wasn't going to walk again I was four and a half stone. Saint Georges Hospital gave me an insulin pump so nobody had to know and it change my life it gave me confidence and the ability to control my diabetes

Awful how this illness affects us. Just read your post.

So pleased your good now. You've done amazingly well.

Much admiration..

Kirstykanga99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have t1 diabetes and I hate injecting in public! I feel as if everyone is looking at me and my disgusting body! Even everyone tells me I'm not fat I think every girl feels they are.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hated injected in public I was bullied for years because Done an injection a birthday party group of 15 boys spread about where I lived telling everybody that I was an addict or I was a dealer they stole my food After I had injected or stole my injections from my bag when I was ordering food it became more like a phobia I hated it I couldn't inject in public and I hate injecting front of anybody I hate people knowing that I even had diabetes I hated it so much I stopped eating i stopped injecting I refused to take my insulant I refused to be a diabetic I ended up with diabetic neuropathy at the age of 19 doctors telling me that I wasn't going to walk again I was four and a half stone. Saint Georges Hospital gave me an insulin pump so nobody had to know and it change my life it gave me confidence and the ability to control my diabetes

I feel your pain.. I got "caught out" at college & the rumour went round I was a junkie.. 25 years or so later on Facebook & I'm still considered the "bad boy" at a reunion... They were surprised I was still alive & looking well... So was I.. But for different reasons. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
I used to be nervous, but in public I've injected about 3-4 times and no-body even notices.

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awful how this illness affects us. Just read your post.

So pleased your good now. You've done amazingly well.

Much admiration..

Thanks Hun yes I have worked hard and it's thanks to my mum a good support network of friends and amazing partner also great care I received from Poole hospital and St George's Hospital in tooting i am hoping to set up a support group for young adults with diabetes avoid young adults/children ended up the same way I have. Xx

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was injecting in a cafe once and a lady told me i shouldnt be injecting in public. I explained that i was diabetic but she turned her nose up and said i should do it in the toilet!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was injecting in a cafe once and a lady told me i shouldnt be injecting in public. I explained that i was diabetic but she turned her nose up and said i should do it in the toilet!
To which you retort "and you madam are .......... and have no right to be out in public, full stop. Please shut yourself away where you can't cause offence to people who happen to have the misfortune to cast a glance in your direction"

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Someone said that to me when I was injecting on a long train journey once. What annoyed me is that she was a nosey cow and made a point of looking and craning her neck, which was upsetting because I was trying to do it discreetly. But when she said that about injecting in the toilet, I got angry and told her that when she went to her GP for an injection I'd suggest he took her to the nearest public toilet to do it. I also said that she should mind her own business and that nobody had asked her to look, and if she was so offended by other people going about their lawful business next time she shoukd stay at home. I was furious!

It's nobody else's concern if you inject in public. I can't believe many diabetics leap around pulling up their shirts and broadcasting what they're about to do. I'm guessing we all try to inject with as little fuss as possible. I find most people, if they even notice, just look away. If anyone has an issue with it, that's their problem not yours.

The only exception to this is if I was out with someone with a known needle phobia. I would then warn them so they could look away or leave for a minute, if they preferred.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I kind of hide when am giving myself insulin. It is easy when you know how to count the clicks under the table, then jabbing into the belly. some people catch on... in a way it's a freaky party trick. Lol! - Some people may hate the sight of needles, and fair enough; especially whilst eating - and we aint a freak show.

I have a friend who pulls his sleeve up and jabs, careless of where he is - it's like he's on stage as he works out. lol! That's funny.

Am guessing it depends on the personality of the person. There's nothing wrong either way as far as we are concerned, though consider that it's not normal for others if you like.

Occasionally, I will do it before going out to eat, in the hallway. People have seen how flipping quick I am. They say, "Did u just...? No way, that was fast!"

I regularly walk down the street and inject into my belly through a t-shirt. I notice that if i pay attention to it, others will too; so I don't look at what am doing. It's easily done. However, have broken the odd needle here and there off with clothing... carrying the long term insulin is important just incase that happens

Last edited by a moderator:

ono

I was nervous the first couple of times, but quickly got over it after doing it many times, I doubt people take much notice, and the pens look harmless. I'm more conscious about blood tests, a bit yucky to shake hands or take something from a guy who just drew blood from his finger tips? So I tend to hide that when possible :p

Reactions: 2 people

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had that and kicked out for it to also kick out of The arcade for having a hypo and they thinking I was drunk!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
People eh,unbelievable:wideyed: I am a more discrete person and that's down to my personality. It's nothing to be ashamed of at all and we are doing nothing wrong whatsoever, we inject to stay alive and we are not doing anything anti social..

A few comebacks := Madam/Sir, "There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure"

"If I throw a stick, will you leave"

Madam/Sir, "I wont use a toilet that is used by hundreds and hundreds of people and is full of germs and nasty bugs, so please go and fly back to your seat " :D Luckily no one has said anything to me.

RRB :)

clairea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are ignorant,
I inject in public had a few odd stares but I just ignore them, no one has ever said anything though, but I dare them to try,

Reactions: 3 people

jode72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one women freak out about how she wouldn't be able to inject coz she hates needles i just said given the choice between injecting and dying I was fairly sure she would learn to inject ! ....as an opposite was on the tube the other day and had to inject and a guy sat opposite me got out his insulin pen and waved it at me saying your in the club too lol started a whole conversation which was really nice I am pretty new to the injecting and it took me a while to figure out that it was ok to do it in public and the thought of having to go into a toilet to do it makes me shudder !!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As A T2 on medication, I'm lucky enough not to have to inject. but if the time comes that I need to, there's no way i'd do it in a loo, and I hope I'd have the confidence to do it in public

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite often inject through my trousers when I am on public transport. It is all done very discreetly.

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Nope... I just do it and if I get a look from anyone I just say
"Well it's this or I keal over and u will have to give me mouth to mouth and trust me ... I work on radio for reason" ... Fugly lol

So no don't care where I am
If need to be done it gets done
Better that an risk trouble