Injecting in public

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coconut, the most vile substance known to mankind. people who only see things in black and white.
In the past I've had to inject in public, because I'll be damned if I'm going to the khazi just to make somebody else happy. If someone just looks disapproving I just ignore them, if they say something I'm just plain rude to them, works well for me :D

Ultimately it's your body you're not breaking any laws so "round objects" to any who doesn't like it I say.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always inject in public and have never had a problem with anyone being judgmental or giving me evil looks...at least not that I'm aware of...but then generally speaking I'm concentrating on what I'm doing rather than what anyone else thinks. To be fair though I'm always very discreet, the only times I'm not as discreet is when I'm out for a meal with a bunch of friends or work colleagues and on those occasions I just give everyone the heads up 'if you're squeamish...look away now' all of which know that it's just something I have to do and leave me to get on with it.

Saying that...last week I got spotted on no less than two occasions...in the same week...after 16 years of never being spotted. The first one I was out for a Sunday roast and the waitress returned to the table to check that everything was ok...but she kind of crept up behind me and I didn't see her coming...so she made me jump...and in doing so I managed to drop my pen lid in the gravy...thus drawing attention to what I was actually doing...she was very sweet and just offered to go and run my pen lid under the tap. On the other occasion I was in a very big open pub and had pulled my test kit out to test before injecting...being such an open space and not wanting to draw attention to myself I pulled my test kit into my lap to test...which caught the attention of a chap walking past...who nearly tripped himself over trying to see what I was doing...it did make me giggle.

Janiem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I recently have found myself having to inject in public. Once I went to the bathroom but didn't like doing it in there. A second time I did it out where people could see. I obviously did it as discreetly as possible but some people did see and I got a lot of glares!

What does everyone else do in public? I'm stuck at what to do! I don't want to sneak off to do it but I don't want people looking and whispering about me when I do it :(

Alice x

Hi

I have always injected in public, but I do try and be discrete about it and inject under the table. If someone is likely to see me inject I will always ask them politely if they mind. I have never had any problem at restaurants or in cafes. The only place I ever had a problem to people objecting to me was at my old work place.