Reactions: 14 people

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I sometimes say, no one minds if I do my insulin do they? Everyone just shakes their head and looks away! The toilet is not the place for injections or breastfeeding and both these things should be seen as healthy and normal and done in publi,. Easy to say i know. Been much happier about injecting in public since I got older.

Country Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was in college I was terrified to shoot up in public because all the people in the cafeteria would stare at me and have comments to say to me like why is she doing that here? or do she have to do that here where people are eating, I was even ashamed to check my sugar in public I used to go into a bathroom stall and do It where nobody woull see me. My friends used to stand up for me but I had to deal with it myself I so I had a public word with all the students in the college in the cafeteria was terrified because I hate to make speeches but I was happy I did because it made the college more away of my condition there is no need to be ashamed of injecting your insulin in public some people have to used inhalers there is no shame. My college was happy because from then on they became more informed on diabetes and had leaflets to offer info for all the students incase I was to take a hypo which I did on a couple of times and they knew how to react not stare or comment, The people in your workplace should want to know more because if you were to have a hypo and had no glucose on hand they could help,there are info packs out there for problems such as these

Annapaterson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello, I used to hide away and inject quietly on a corner or in the bathrooms but I too didn't like the unhygienic element to it so my friends started trying to get me to inject at the table as we were all talking. Their opinion was and still is that I inject to because I have to not because I want to and that it is a matter of life that I do so. If we go out and anyone creates a fuss or shows a disapproving face my friends and family are always the first to stare back or ask if the person would like a picture. It soon quietens them. If I'm on my own I have found myself explaining that I need to.
You shouldn't be ashamed to inject in public. If the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure the people giving the looks and fussing wouldn't think twice about it.
Do what's best for you

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I recently have found myself having to inject in public. Once I went to the bathroom but didn't like doing it in there. A second time I did it out where people could see. I obviously did it as discreetly as possible but some people did see and I got a lot of glares!

What does everyone else do in public? I'm stuck at what to do! I don't want to sneak off to do it but I don't want people looking and whispering about me when I do it :(

Alice x

Hi,
I've been injecting for 34 years now & used to be very uncomfortable doing it in public - restaurants etc. Now I don't really give a ****. My health is more important, if people can't cope with it, it's usually because they don't understand what you're doing. I try & be as discreet as possible but sometimes you just can't be. I'm always a bit more concerned around children but they are usually the most inquisitive !
Roger

Reactions: 2 people

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I recently have found myself having to inject in public. Once I went to the bathroom but didn't like doing it in there. A second time I did it out where people could see. I obviously did it as discreetly as possible but some people did see and I got a lot of glares!

What does everyone else do in public? I'm stuck at what to do! I don't want to sneak off to do it but I don't want people looking and whispering about me when I do it :(

Alice x
I refuse to inject in the toilets (did when I first went in insulin) I always do it discreetly wherever I am people don't have to look! Think of your health it's keeping you alive and well, if someone had a headache they would take paracetamol, if I'm with a group of children I will find a quite place on my own to do it - good luck x

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
my consultant was diabetic ad he always said if your needle is new then going through your clothes s not a problem unless they are dirty. So you ca be very discreet as your leg is under a table if eating out. I refuse to go to a dirty germ ridden toilet and hide away like I am a drug addict however it does not have to be flaunted. By the time I left school many of my friends were doing my injection for me as they wanted to be doctors and nurses.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I inject in public/ where-ever I want to be honest and don't really care. If people don't like it they can look away. I don't flaunt it but do find it amusing when I get disgusted looks or comments, where they believe I'm a hard drug user.

I never inject through clothes either and don't think diabetics should be marginalized for this.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm all up for injecting in public. The more people who do this the more it will be become acceptable in the eye of the public. Anyone who is scared of needles doesn't have to look, and anyone who thinks they have the right to tut or make a negative comment can quite frankly go and sit on the sun. Their insecurities are not our problem. Remember these are the people who will scowl at breastfeeding moms. Who cares what they think. We are just keeping ourselves healthy, nothing to be ashamed of.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I need to inject, I need to inject. I've never had a problem with it, to be honest. If I'm out in a restaurant or whatever, then I'll inject through my clothes, either in my tummy or thigh. It's below table level, and takes what - a couple of seconds to do? You don't even have to look what you're doing once you've dialled the amount on the pen, so someone would have to be looking pretty closely at you to see what you're doing, and even then, there's nothing to see. Quite often, when I've been out with friends or family, they'll ask after the meal "have you done your injection?" as they haven't noticed me doing it. I've never seen anyone look askance - I think most people are more interested in their own stuff, really - and I don't see an issue with it anyway.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
When I was on injections and I was in a public place I would just do it in public as discreetly as I could. If I was with people I didn't know I'd ask first if anyone had a problem with needles as I was diabetic and needed to do my injection! Seemed to work for me. I'm on a pump now which is the best decision I've made in 23 years!!! You couldn't wrestle my pump off me if you tried! :)

Sue_Guernsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My T1 teenage daughter has always injected in public (as discretely as possible of course). As a keen swimmer I was shocked last year when her coach advised her (not us) that as another teenage club member found it upsetting to see her inject that she was no longer allowed to inject poolside during galas and instead had to use the changing rooms/bathroom. This is the only area of her life where we have ever experienced such an attitude. Needless to say that after a long battle with the UK swimming association on the grounds of discrimination and pure madness, the decision was eventually overturned but no apology was ever given to her. Of course she is now with a new and more professionally run club!

Aurora1920

Hello everyone,

I used to have a problem with injecting in public, as I was worried about people watching me, but now as I have had it for years and have gotten older I couldn't really care less, if people have a problem with me doing it in public they shouldn't watch, at the end of the day it keeps me alive.

Aurora.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My T1 teenage daughter has always injected in public (as discretely as possible of course). As a keen swimmer I was shocked last year when her coach advised her (not us) that as another teenage club member found it upsetting to see her inject that she was no longer allowed to inject poolside during galas and instead had to use the changing rooms/bathroom. This is the only area of her life where we have ever experienced such an attitude. Needless to say that after a long battle with the UK swimming association on the grounds of discrimination and pure madness, the decision was eventually overturned but no apology was ever given to her. Of course she is now with a new and more professionally run club!

Shocking. As long as your daughter gave people warning, they could have just looked away.

Sinned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It has never occurred to me to be discrete. I don't flaunt it but just get out my little pencil case with my gear in, test by BG and then dial up on the pen and inject into the abdominal area. Never had any funny looks that I am aware of but if anyone doesn't like it then that's their problem and not mine. As a man I sometimes wear a skirt out and about and I feel the same way about members of the general public - I'm not doing anything illegal and I have no hidden agenda for wearing a skirt - it's just a comfortable garment that's cool and well suited to the male physique. Never had any bad comments about that either. I find that it's a matter of confidence - if you are confident in what you do and don't show any sense of shame or reticence then very few notice or even object.

waphead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Alice x
My wife has to inject and used to go out of the room leave a restaurant etc etc . WHY she now does it discretly at the table and doesn't feel guilty at all, Everyday we see far worse things in public so Alice keep going and ignore those who in my opinion are ignorant

Reactions: 5 people

Mal291136

Hi all,

Alice x
Injecting is a necessary part of our condition and has to be done for the good of our health. We frequently eat out and injecting "in public" is something I do often. I try to be discreet and inject under cover of the restaurant table. Anybody who takes exception to me doing this, albeit as secretively as possible, has the problem! Not us. Injecting in a toilet is not necessarily hygienic and could cause serious challenges for us as can not injecting!!

Reactions: 6 people

blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do it in public! It sounds like you were doing it fine :)

I've always injected in public and I'm not particularly brave or anything. It's not hygienic to use toilets as there are not only germs on the surfaces, but airborne germs too.

If you have a search, you'll find similar threads to yours, and the overwhelming response is that people inject discreetly in public and are fine :) Find a quiet place where you're not going to be jogged or bashed into and do what you have to do. Don't be self conscious.
| do it in public all the time, usually in a restaurant in my leg through tights, so it is under the table so to speak. We regularly eat out for dinner so part of eating my meal, is injecting my insulin during the meal. I usually do it between courses.

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, firstly do not be embarrassed, secondly the toilet is NOT a good place. I wear a kilt actually due originally to another reason but have found that it is eminently suitable to allow me to inject on my thigh without too much problem. I sit against a wall in say a cafe then sort of under the table "do it". In fact often my wife does not realise I have "done it". Perhaps it will get more men to wear kilts. They may find other benefits as well!

spideog

We are the ones having to put the needles into ourselves, anyone else claiming to be scared of needles should just get over themselves. Same goes for people suggesting to be scared of a couple of microlitres of blood that goes on a test strip. It's not like we use massive needles or there is masses of blood gushing out of our fingertips, the only reason that anyone would notice in either case is if they are not minding their own business or if we make a big deal of it before hand by telling them what we are about to do.