Injecting in public

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only been injecting for 3 weeks, and on my release from hospital after diagnosis, the first thing I did was go for a decent meal in a restaurant after all that **** hospital food.
I never even thought about NOT injecting in public.

Reactions: 3 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't inject anywhere I wouldn't eat - that includes any toilet, public or otherwise. If at a friends house, I will always ask if they mind me pulling my jeans down to inject in my thigh (if it is a 'thigh week' for me), otherwise I will inject in the most convenient site (belly, thigh etc). This is a normal part of my life, and so it quickly becomes a normal thing for your friends.

With regards to publically injecting, I never hide it and usually carry on a conversation while I do my thing. Some people take great interest, others don't notice. I have been really lucky with strangers asking how long I've been diabetic, rather than making a scene or pointing me out. What I find most difficult is explaining my injections to children. I don't want to call my insulin medicine, as I'm not sick, but they are too young to understand and so I just tell them I need to test my blood to see how much sugar is in it and inject when I eat because my tummy doesn't make what it needs to. Said children usually then ask if they can watch the injections :hilarious: don't be ashamed, and don't worry about what other people say/think. Many (including friends) don't understand, but that is not your problem :) x x

Reactions: 12 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you find slower release when you inject in your thigh?
I love the 'wouldn't inject where you wouldn't eat' and great way to explain it to kids!

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On MDI I ALWAYS injected in public and it barely attracted a second glance...
The only problems I had were when wearing dresses and injecting into my tummy (and even that wasn't insurmountable).

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alicerebekah - before I injected in public I thought it would be a lot more obvious than it actually is. I would say more than 90% of the time no one has noticed at all, it probably just looks like I'm straightening my top. The 10% of the time it is noticed is by the waiter/waitress returning to the table to ask if everything is ok with the meal, and I've never had a single comment on what I was doing. I think in a restaurant people are more interested in their own food & friends than what the next table is up to. So please don't feel bad, the more you do it the more natural it will be and you'll see how rare it is to get any attention at all.

Reactions: 7 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you find slower release when you inject in your thigh?
I love the 'wouldn't inject where you wouldn't eat' and great way to explain it to kids!

Tbh, I have never noticed a difference in release rates between injecting in my thigh or stomach, but have heard that it is faster absorbed through your belly? Lol, thanks, it was the simplest way I could think of!

I've also got to agree with @ArtemisBow, it is more often waiters and waitresses that notice my testing and injecting, and I've found that they tend to ignore it. Or speak to my companion rather than me, which makes me laugh lol x

Deanuz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally I stopped when someone called me a "dirty smackhead" made me feel like in the future that's what everyone else thinks, I know that's not what everyone thinks but it's hard to get past it. I'm comfortable when out with friends but when I'm on my own I will just use the disabled toilets as they are the cleanest :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh, I have never noticed a difference in release rates between injecting in my thigh or stomach, but have heard that it is faster absorbed through your belly? Lol, thanks, it was the simplest way I could think of!

I've also got to agree with @ArtemisBow, it is more often waiters and waitresses that notice my testing and injecting, and I've found that they tend to ignore it. Or speak to my companion rather than me, which makes me laugh lol x
I have heard the belly is much faster but sometimes if I want a correction bolus between meals I will use my thigh. BS goes down a little slower so it's easier on my body when there is no food involved

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I stopped when someone called me a "dirty smackhead" made me feel like in the future that's what everyone else thinks, I know that's not what everyone thinks but it's hard to get past it. I'm comfortable when out with friends but when I'm on my own I will just use the disabled toilets as they are the cleanest :)

That's very sad - don't let one person's ignorance (and rudeness) put you off.

Deanuz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's very sad - don't let one person's ignorance (and rudeness) put you off.

I've tried not too but naturally people tend to stare I know almost everyone is just intrigued but it's always in the back of my mind I have a friend who is also the same way because of the same reason.

Lau89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started injecting in private to not offend anyone or worrying of what people may think but I now do it in public. It's part of who we are and shouldn't be ashamed, most of the time people don't seem to notice anyway and go about their business

Lau89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That is awful. I can understand why you would do it in private now but try not to let it get to you too much, that's just one stupid persons thoughts.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried not too but naturally people tend to stare I know almost everyone is just intrigued but it's always in the back of my mind I have a friend who is also the same way because of the same reason.

I can understand. It does make you feel self conscious to start with, especially if you're by yourself. I remember that I used to get quite nervous. But gradually it became easier. I think practice and knowing you've perfected how to inject quickly and discreetly help you feel confident. The only time I had a similar experience to yours was early on when I went into a toilet at McDonald's as I was too shy to inject at the table. I got followed in by a member of staff who knocked on the door and asked me what I was doing! That was far more embarrassing than people staring.

If someone says something now, I think of it as an opportunity to explain a little about diabetes. Unless they're really rude - and then I'm not as patient!

I've found the trick is to act quickly and confidently, and then people assume that whatever you're doing is ok.

Casey_Jane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you're in school and people walk past as you're doing an injection and stare. So you're like what it's life, well it is to us! It's just common courtesy not to stare, isn't it?

chubbz1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chickens, football, loud noises
I always do it in public, occasionally in a changing room if I happen to be trying on clothes. I often get people staring at me but I try and be discreet as possible. I once had someone tell me it was disgusting and a woman at work reported me for taking drugs! I laughed at that. But at the end of the day it is our lives and people don't have a problem with someone taking tablets.

Kepp going in public, after a while it won't even phase you. People should learn to worry about there own lives instead of other people's anyway.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I recently have found myself having to inject in public. Once I went to the bathroom but didn't like doing it in there. A second time I did it out where people could see. I obviously did it as discreetly as possible but some people did see and I got a lot of glares!

What does everyone else do in public? I'm stuck at what to do! I don't want to sneak off to do it but I don't want people looking and whispering about me when I do it :(

Alice x
First and foremost, never be ashamed to inject in public, its not asif your getting a smack fix, took me a long time to get over how simple and small minded people can be :( secondly let people stare, if they wanna be ignornant, let them :) its completely up to you if u wanna say something to those that are staring, ive done it myself "what? Have you never seen someone injecting insulin?" As diabetics, we need to develop a thick skin due to the ignorance of others :(

Reactions: 8 people

denbo

When I'm out for a meal I used to go the loo but I don't anymore as it's my medication and we all av to av it so I just inject by the table as I'm seated when my meal arrives I really don't care and folk can say wot they please it's my condition not theirs and it's a shame there's no cure for diabetes as it's a terrible thing to have but insulin is there to keep you alive

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
When I'm out for a meal I used to go the loo but I don't anymore as it's my medication and we all av to av it so I just inject by the table as I'm seated when my meal arrives I really don't care and folk can say wot they please it's my condition not theirs and it's a shame there's no cure for diabetes as it's a terrible thing to have but insulin is there to keep you alive
I wouldn't know what to do without my insulin and my Diabetic Nurse she does wonders and helps me all the time she is great. xxx

vix107

Hi all,

I recently have found myself having to inject in public. Once I went to the bathroom but didn't like doing it in there. A second time I did it out where people could see. I obviously did it as discreetly as possible but some people did see and I got a lot of glares!

What does everyone else do in public? I'm stuck at what to do! I don't want to sneak off to do it but I don't want people looking and whispering about me when I do it :(

Alice x
Well frankly they are lucky not to have to do these things to survive, so balls to them do what you gotta do its no one else's business!! Offer to take a pic next time anyone stares that normally makes them think twice or literally ask them in the most polite voice what their problem is, we hardly do it for fun, and never by any means do injections through any type of clothing that is just asking for infection and does a mile more damage to the skin x

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I have had Type 1 for 49 years so you can imagine how many injections I have had. Not once has anyone ever said anything or glared at me when I have had an injection. Maybe it's because I don't care what people think.

Last edited by a moderator: