1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injecting to belly

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Ausra, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ausra

Ausra · Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Has anyone have other places to inject rapid rather than belly? My one needs some rest. If I inject to butt will it make insulin absorbtion slower than it should be? Or if I inject to arm , will my sugar levels drop too fast? Please share your experiences

• Like Like x 2
  2. claire_786

claire_786 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I sometimes do my thigh

3. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

Stomach or thighs generally. I use my bum for slow acting or larger doses. Just alternate frequently as I find I easily get lumps build up in my thighs so don't use them much anymore.

4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey, when I used to inject i did bolus in my legs and basal in my stomach, my basal was quite a large dose so I found it better in stomach as I would get lumps on my thighs so kept them for my small doses of bolus, didn't seem to effect bg which ever I used, never injected in arms or bum so can't comment on them :) x

5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

[​IMG]
    I use above for fast acting and bum for long acting :)

6. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

On once daily injection, it was my legs. Twice daily, it was my backside for the larger injection in the morning and the upper arms for the smaller injection in the evening. Basal/bolus was backside for the basal so that it would work slowly and the arms again for most of the bolus. I only ever used my tummy for the bolus if my bg was a bit high which wasnt too often. Thankfully, I can insert infusion sets in my tummy ok because of that

8. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In winter, when exposing thigh or tummy to inject would mean doing a striptease (and probably empty the restaurant, cafe, train carriage) I find it easiest to push clothes aside and inject into my upper arm or even outer shoulder. It doesn't seem to make a big difference to insulin action time.

9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I use the stomach for Bolus to be fast-acting. I use the thigh for Basal where speed doens't matter.

10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Prob 95% or more of my injections and sets have benn my beautiful bum for 30+ years. No lumps or bumps.

11. Jenny08

Jenny08 Type 1 · Member

Advised at dafne training that you can do it in thighs but not if you are going to do physical exercise as this would affect the absorption of insulin. I use the area just above the buttocks and also reach round to the sides (love handles area). Was also told not to go too close to the tummy button area.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook