Injection

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Under supervision from you is a first good step to take.
At school this would also need supervision.

To me its great that he wants to do it, but if it was me I would have to supervise...making sure dosage is right for activitys he's doing etc. does he always make sure he takes hypostoppers with him? If he is capable of remembering to take them with him and does it off his own back.. This maybe a time to let jim start doing his own injections... Under supervision in your home may be a good starting point...

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed at the age of 8, one of the reasons I was allowed out of hospital within 3 days is because I insisted on doing my own injections. The hospital and my parents had no issue with this, obviously there was always someone around when I took my injection. When I went onto 4 injections a day, my lunchtime one was always done in the school's medical room.

It's great that your son wants to start doing his own injections, it's a big responsibility and one he'll have for life, it's great that he's comfortable learning to do this on his own.

Having supervision is sensible, showing him what to do and check and seeing how much he can remember on his own is a great learning technique. :)

Vic70

Thanks for help let him do it this morning bless him he went to school with huge smile on his face he is such an amazing boy he has never complained or moaned about having injections or anything I'm so proud of him [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]thanks again
Vicky

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aaah, so please for both of you. It will make him feel more independent and in control of his diabetes...
Glad you did it...

hkerins

It's surprising how independent they become and very sensible, my daughter was injecting herself at 6 and I very rarely have to supervise her now, she's nearly 12 although if I'm around at injection times she sometimes asks me to do it for her! It's just part of her daily routine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App