Inside Out Programme BBC1 (London) Tonight 7.30PM

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Any idea why the interviewees in the section about diabetes.co.uk were all Type 1's (or at least that's what they appeared to be) especially odd after the first half of the program was all about Type 2.. This was never made clear and there was lots of talk about "Diabetes" without any specifics.
Maybe I should ask @CaptainEarle
Hi there. Diabetes.co.uk featured in the last ten minutes of the documentary. The people being interviewed were members of staff, three of which have Type 1, and the other being myself. The goal of having these members of staff interviewed was to share their own personal experiences of how Diabetes doesn't hold them back.
What we did show during our ten minutes was about the forum being there for people. We highlighted how people can still live a happy life with Diabetes and it is not all doom and gloom. We wanted to put the message across that the forum is here for everyone across the world and how much we admire and respect our members. Our members are some of the strongest people we come across every day and we wanted to let other people out there know that if they need help, our members and staff are here to help. I hope that our ten minutes on TV managed to put across this message to people out there who need a helping hand.

Thank you to all the members out there who have helped and continue to help others affected by Diabetes. Much love to you all. ♥

M

mist

Hi there. Diabetes.co.uk featured in the last ten minutes of the documentary. We don't have control of the remainder of the show. What we did show during our ten minutes was about the forum being there for people. We highlighted how people can still live a happy life with Diabetes and it is not all doom and gloom. We wanted to put the message across that the forum is here for everyone across the world and how much we admire and respect our members. Our members are some of the strongest people we come across every day and we wanted to let other people out there know that if they need help, our members and staff are here to help. I hope that our ten minutes on TV managed to put across this message to people out there who need a helping hand.

Thank you to all the members out there who have helped and continue to help others affected by Diabetes. Much love to you all. ♥

Were you on TV? Did you look 10lbs heavier? :D

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I watched it, same old negative BBC ***** 'it's all your own fault you fat b*****d's, costing the NHS zillions because of your lifestyle choices' virtually nothing positive about being able to control it.

Not a word about those who have a genetic predisposition because of a parent that suffered from diabetes!

I could go on, but life's too short.

Enjoy yourself it's later than you think!

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Though, I would hope it wouldn't matter either way...?! o_O

As long as we get a positive message across about our awesome members it doesn't matter at all. :)

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Just watched the programme in the NorthWest...the usual "it's a life style disease" line,heavy on the amputations,ulcers,liver failure but nothing about how to cope with the problem.Nothing new.
and totally depressing when you're battling hard to keep control of everything.......along with the guilt trip that us irresponsible t2d's are bleeding the NHS dry!!!!!! If I hear one more idiot say its "due to lifestyle" I think I may pop!!!! It CAN be due but a lot of the time IT ISNT!!!! rant over.....

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and totally depressing when you're battling hard to keep control of everything.......along with the guilt trip that us irresponsible t2d's are bleeding the NHS dry!!!!!! If I hear one more idiot say its "due to lifestyle" I think I may pop!!!! It CAN be due but a lot of the time IT ISNT!!!! rant over.....
@mandy_horsley When they refer to lifestyle I dont think they refer to yours or mine, or anyone in particular. More a general observation that society is more sedentary these day. My mum used to scrub the step, wring the washing out, then put it through a mangle for example. Me, I got a presure washer for the step and a washing machine and dryer...........

Reactions: kokhongw
M

mist

You guys need to relax a bit..absorb some chill vibes..

Everyone knows the media is full of sh!te and that most people are smart enough to realise that many factors affect certain conditions. Diabetes included.

Ignore the media, you'll be happier :D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mandy_horsley When they refer to lifestyle I dont think they refer to yours or mine, or anyone in particular. More a general observation that society is more sedentary these day. My mum used to scrub the step, wring the washing out, then put it through a mangle for example. Me, I got a presure washer for the step and a washing machine and dryer...........

Good point!

....& we got a maid for that sh17. But my wife still likes to scrub the step.

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS is a postcode lottery. Everyone has experience of good, bad and indifferent HCP.

The one thing that should be under attack is the sugar, sorry food, industry with the hidden amount of sugar and other flavour enhancers, e.g. salt together with other additives for all sorts of reasons.

And the very poor labelling of their products content.

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS is a postcode lottery. Everyone has experience of good, bad and indifferent HCP.

The one thing that should be under attack is the sugar, sorry food, industry with the hidden amount of sugar and other flavour enhancers, e.g. salt together with other additives for all sorts of reasons.

And the very poor labelling of their products content.

Agree food labelling is poor. Hate it when they dont give you enough information to carb count.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there after affects of bariatric surgery? I vaguely seem to remember reading about people needing further surgery, gall bladder troubles, issues with loose skin, and malnutrition in the long term, but cant remember where I read it.

wouldnt that cause health problems of its own, coupled with costing the NHS even more money?

Absolutely!

Anyone trying to kid themselves that a £6,000 op is the total cost to NHS is just kidding themselves.

A cursory google reveals a horrific list of potential complications following bariatric surgery, both long and short term.

Uncontrollable regurgitation, reactive hypoglycaemia (wouldn't wish it on anyone!), malnutrition, cost of dietician, abdominal adhesions, osteoporosis, weight regain...

Does everyone get all of these? Of course not.
Does anyone escape without one or more? I leave it to your googling to answer that!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely!

Anyone trying to kid themselves that a £6,000 op is the total cost to NHS is just kidding themselves.

A cursory google reveals a horrific list of potential complications following bariatric surgery, both long and short term.

Uncontrollable regurgitation, reactive hypoglycaemia (wouldn't wish it on anyone!), malnutrition, cost of dietician, abdominal adhesions, osteoporosis, weight regain...

Does everyone get all of these? Of course not.
Does anyone escape without one or more? I leave it to your googling to answer that!

So, they seem to be "plugging" bariatric surgery as a cure. (Or closest thing to a cure?)
Then happy testimonials from a guy that apeared to have just "come round" of the operating table??

There were basically no other options put forward other than lowering the BMI thing so there was more access to this surgery for all....

No mention of carbs just sugar.. The chef in that school was introducing some very nice bread that was ground down if not eaten by the first day? & used in fish cakes.. Lol

Loved the idea of using a pizza to highlight the cost of diabetes..

The North west regional program had drugs & "Victorian steam punk".. :cool: Great to see the clockwork fairies without having to worry about a low....;)