1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Inside Out Programme BBC1 (London) Tonight 7.30PM

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by asparagusp, Oct 24, 2016.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

Just saying.. Maybe a 7 or 10 day fast would have such great benefits in bringing down blood sugars that they would be inspired?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It was this forum. They taked about its base just outside coventry, had its banner and talked about it being the largest membership. also about diabeliama and eating disorders and how its like on a day to day basis living with diabetes

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Engineer88
    Which region?

5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Ignore any guidelines for recommended calorie intake. The 'experts' just make up the numbers aided and abetted by the food industry. Most people will soon know if they aren't eating enough i.e. they will lose weight and it won't stop :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 3
  7. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

East midlands (im near banbury) but may have been west midlands as @tim2000s said above!

8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Since the NHS has been preaching the wrong diet (Eatwell plate, loads of carbs etc, low-fat everything) then the patients come back having not lost weight and hence have bariatric surgery. The lunacy and ignorance continues in the NHS and elsewhere although I do detect a feint ray of light in some areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think an8 week fasting is called a hunger strike:sorry:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

This week's TV program did mention diabetes.co.uk i.e. this site and not the DUK one which was great. I do sometimes look at and contribute to the other DUK site and it has changed a lot over the last year. The stuffy nonsense from DUK has faded and many of the posts tend to be in line with the up to date thinking this site proffers. Even the DUK website dietary guidance has been very quietly changing - have a look. I'm sure DUK would never admit it but the complaints we have all made to them about diet appear to be having some effect at long last.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Scardoc

Scardoc · Well-Known Member

Ok, a literal translation but the point I was making is that our advanced modern society has the ability now to carry out bariatric surgery as though its no big deal. It’s a convenient way to try and fix a long term problem with short term results.
    The hard way is to lose weight naturally. “Lose some weight” is not a useless piece of advice in itself, but, in reality, how to lose the weight is a very personal issue. We are all individuals and for some it could be as simple as portion control, exercise or calorie counting but for others it could be counselling to overcome psychological problems that lead to weight gain or, in extreme cases, where all else has failed or is not possible…….bariatric surgery. Hell, the Eatwell Plate could well work brilliantly for some depending on what they currently eat!
    But for me, something as extreme as surgery and which does not have a 100% success rate should be restricted for those cases that require it.
    The Oxford Uni study in the news today where Doctors bring up the fact someone is overweight and offer help is very interesting and has promising results.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. bulkbiker

Any idea why the interviewees in the section about diabetes.co.uk were all Type 1's (or at least that's what they appeared to be) especially odd after the first half of the program was all about Type 2.. This was never made clear and there was lots of talk about "Diabetes" without any specifics.
    Maybe I should ask @CaptainEarle

• Like Like x 2
  13. bulkbiker

I think that exercise and calorie counting are certainly not effective ways of loosing weight. Calorie counting especially has been show many times to fail although exercise too mainly serves to spike the appetite. When anecdotal evidence from the site is huge that changing what and when we eat is such a powerful tool I find it pretty devastating that so many HCP's are either ignorant of this or unwilling to even discuss it yet are happy to consider bariatric surgery. I'm not saying that you are in that camp but many of your colleagues are guilty as charged.

14. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  15. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I follow both the forums, and I find that both of them are interesting, because I haven't found any Italian speaking forum with a lot of frequentation. United Kingdom based forum are talking a lot about NHS woes, that are like but not quite the same like SSN woes, or in this case of TV programmes broadcasted by BBC, but this is not a big deal.

16. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

Are there after affects of bariatric surgery? I vaguely seem to remember reading about people needing further surgery, gall bladder troubles, issues with loose skin, and malnutrition in the long term, but cant remember where I read it.

wouldnt that cause health problems of its own, coupled with costing the NHS even more money?

17. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I also used to correspond on DUK forum but got Moderated off it for making disparaging comments about HCVLF diet (Eatwell#2), and that was just a few months ago. Mind you I also got bounced from this site at around the same time, so it must be something in the water, like low bgl. Whooppee Doo!

18. adele_francis

adele_francis Type 2 · Member

The same thing happened to me in my 40yrs i only got diagnosed because l was going in for an operation and a blood sugar test was done i was undiagnosed for yrs piling weight and kept going to the doctor's l am T2 very interesting to know that a virus could be the cause

• Like Like x 1
  19. adele_francis

adele_francis Type 2 · Member

Adele Francis

20. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The virus bit was in reply to @asparagusp - mine wasn't a virus I'm pretty sure mine was genetic also I have PCOS and psoriasis- all of which raise your chances of being T2

As I have tagged asparagusp in the post she (I think you are a she @asparagusp if not apologies :))may be more help with the info on the virus thing as I know next to nothing about that

Welcome to the forum by the way:)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook