Insight pumps being recalled

steveo4

I've heard a lot of rumours that the accu chek Insight pumps are all being recalled because of the novorapid pump cartridges issue. Have you heard anything about this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
All I'm getting from google is from Spain,

AEMPS reports on the cessation and withdrawal of certain adapters and tubes for insulin pumps 'Accu-Chek Insight' (infosalus.com)

(I've used google translate so lots of possibilities for errors)

AEMPS reports on the cessation and withdrawal of certain adapters and tubes for insulin pumps 'Accu-Chek Insight'
The recalled products are the Accu-Chek Insight insulin pump adapter and tube: '06485472001 Accu-Chek Insight Adapter&Tube 40 10p A' the batch is less than 1354241; the product '06485499001 Accu-Chek Insight Adapter&Tube 70 10p A', the batch below 1355360, and the product '06485464001 Accu-Chek Insight Adapter&Tube 100 10p A' with a batch number of less than 1354242.

Read more: https://www.infosalus.com/actualida...nsulina-accu-chek-insight-20220606123130.html

steveo4

That's all I've heard as well but there's loads of comments about them all being recalled by November. Have e mailed my dsn for her thoughts on the subject.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why don't you ring Accu-check?

Edit to add: There's a letter on their insulin pump website. I've tried posting a link, but it didn't work properly.

Last edited:

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
You will find all you need on gov.uk. I spoke to my dsn, as I too have a insight pump. She told me measures are being put in place to deal with this per govt guidelines.
Good luck
Screenshot_20220611-085244_Chrome.jpg

\Daf/

It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, so hello again everyone, I think it was 1997!

I’ve sadly been in the Insight pump for 8 long miserable years, it’s a pump I didn’t want, but that’s what I got, as all the others I wasn’t eligible for, or just did t like.

Ever since it’s launch, I have argued that it’s release was to early and needed more development. Im glad I was right as many didn’t believe me.

With that out the way, I’ve had problems with it, my first pump I had 2 replacements, the second, I’ve had one replacement and hand set.

Over the last 2 possibly 3 years, every time I changed the inset and insulin vial, my bloods would sky rocket to late 20s to early 30s, I wondered why and just didn’t know what was causing it, until one day this year, I accidentally knocked the vial over, and saw loads of bubbles appear. When purging the tube, I never looked at the pipe usually, but I did this time and saw many “gaps” of air, within the delivery tube!

I took every box of insulin I had out, and 57 vials in total, all had air in them, I wrote to Novo who kindly asked me to send them to them, I did and after weeks of waiting, I got a reply, in a nutshell, nothing was wrong with them, I had a picture, that the bubble was so big, you could have used it as a spirit level!

I wrote back and as of today, I’ve had no return reply, and I don’t expect it one back, as I told them, I have lost all confidence in their products and in them, and their manufacturing is substandard. Let me just add here, I made drugs for the largest ( at the time) pharmaceutical company in the world for 19 years, so I know what I’m in about, and the procedures of drug making and sampling.

It is no surprise to me at all, that Novo Nordisk have these problems, and I have requested, to be removed from their insulin and go in Humalog asap or at least when I get my new Tslim pump ( self funding the Dexcom)

I have never been impressed with the insight, I knew at launch it wasn’t developed enough and had problems, but I am very glad it’s going to be removed, so others don’t have the aggro I’ve had, and bloods sitting at 29/33 after inset changes.

2 weekends ago, I was HI HI, over 33 mmol ALL WEEKEND! now this news of dodgy vials has been released, I now know why, but Novo never said nothing to me.

I urge everyone on Insight and Novo Rapid to check for air, and I hope you get a better pump out of it, although I’ve heard Roche have developed a pump like “Omnipod “

Take care all, Daf.

Attachments

• 00E3FB49-EFA9-451D-B6B3-9BEE51951F59.jpeg
    00E3FB49-EFA9-451D-B6B3-9BEE51951F59.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: hodders

Adamuk1001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I just saw this flag up on my email.
I'm using Medtronic Pump with Humulin insulin.
I have to say I have no experience of the Accucheck pumps or, how you load the insulin but, I have to fill a cartridge with insulin and then load that into my pump.
I check the cartridge for bubbles every time and yes, more often than not I have to get rid of them before I try to use it.
For me it's s simple task albeit a nuisance to do this.
I was in hospital 4 yrs ago not for anything Diabetes related and, because my pump was at home a nurse tried to give me s shot of insulin without getting rid of air in the syringe, she seemed most purturd that I wouldn't let her go ahead !
Anyway, really my point is , aren't we all checking for air before connecting ourselves up ?
Apologies if my lack of knowledge of Accucheck makes this message sound stupid.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had a look at my backup cartridges of Basal insulin, and they all have a bubble in them. It's never been an issue, as you have to prime the pen anyway.

Reactions: \Daf/

\Daf/

Hi, I just saw this flag up on my email.
I'm using Medtronic Pump with Humulin insulin.
I have to say I have no experience of the Accucheck pumps or, how you load the insulin but, I have to fill a cartridge with insulin and then load that into my pump.
I check the cartridge for bubbles every time and yes, more often than not I have to get rid of them before I try to use it.
For me it's s simple task albeit a nuisance to do this.
I was in hospital 4 yrs ago not for anything Diabetes related and, because my pump was at home a nurse tried to give me s shot of insulin without getting rid of air in the syringe, she seemed most purturd that I wouldn't let her go ahead !
Anyway, really my point is , aren't we all checking for air before connecting ourselves up ?
Apologies if my lack of knowledge of Accucheck makes this message sound stupid.

Thanks for your reply, you say you have to fill your cartridges up, I take it, that’s from a bottle of insulin? With the Insight pump, they are pre-filled cartridges, once they are placed in the pump you then purge the pipes, I do this, but bubbles appear later?

I had a pump like you, where you fill the Reservoir up, but these are easily able to expel the air inside before you use them, with Novo Nordisk these are pre filled (very small really) and unable to rid the air only by purging via the pump tube, once that’s purged you clip that to the inset needle and do one last cannula purge to make sure all air is out.

What I’m saying is, these bubbles, appear later, I changed my inset yesterday and here below is what happened, Novo say there is nothing wrong, there is A LOT WRONG and needs sorting out, but as Roche are recalling the pumps and quiet rightly so, ( I always said these were bought to the market without full testing by the community) that these vials will be recalled and I do t think any other pump uses these, I could be wrong?

I’d rather have the aggro of filling cartridges up from a bottle, than have these vials making me high, which in turn makes me a prime candidate of losing my pump!

I have just been told on Monday, there is NO REP to show me how to use the TSlim pump and I have to wait longer, putting my health at risk even more.
IMG_0177.jpg

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
This is a worry we could all do without. I'm slowly going into my new diabetic team as I've moved but all care has to be self funded for me and no one to actually discuss this with at the moment. I've been in insight for 7 years and it's been hard to control my blood sugars. I thought it would help a lot

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply, you say you have to fill your cartridges up, I take it, that’s from a bottle of insulin? With the Insight pump, they are pre-filled cartridges, once they are placed in the pump you then purge the pipes, I do this, but bubbles appear later?

I had a pump like you, where you fill the Reservoir up, but these are easily able to expel the air inside before you use them, with Novo Nordisk these are pre filled (very small really) and unable to rid the air only by purging via the pump tube, once that’s purged you clip that to the inset needle and do one last cannula purge to make sure all air is out.

What I’m saying is, these bubbles, appear later, I changed my inset yesterday and here below is what happened, Novo say there is nothing wrong, there is A LOT WRONG and needs sorting out, but as Roche are recalling the pumps and quiet rightly so, ( I always said these were bought to the market without full testing by the community) that these vials will be recalled and I do t think any other pump uses these, I could be wrong?

I’d rather have the aggro of filling cartridges up from a bottle, than have these vials making me high, which in turn makes me a prime candidate of losing my pump!

I have just been told on Monday, there is NO REP to show me how to use the TSlim pump and I have to wait longer, putting my health at risk even more. View attachment 55041

I read your message with interest. Accu-Chek Insight was my first insulin pump, and it helped me to lower my HbA1C, so I was happy with it. But for the last six months, or so, I did have lots of unexplained high readings. Ofter I used to correct with an insulin pen, because I felt that those worked faster than corrections from the pump.

I used the Insight pump for three and half years, but started with t:slim X2 last Friday. So, today I will do my first cartridge filling. The insulin is still Novo Rapid from a 10ml bottle. Filling cartridge felt fiddly when I practised this at the hospital (because I have a childhood injury to one of my fingers), but I guess it will become easier with practice.

steveo4

I read your message with interest. Accu-Chek Insight was my first insulin pump, and it helped me to lower my HbA1C, so I was happy with it. But for the last six months, or so, I did have lots of unexplained high readings. Ofter I used to correct with an insulin pen, because I felt that those worked faster than corrections from the pump.

I used the Insight pump for three and half years, but started with t:slim X2 last Friday. So, today I will do my first cartridge filling. The insulin is still Novo Rapid from a 10ml bottle. Filling cartridge felt fiddly when I practised this at the hospital (because I have a childhood injury to one of my fingers), but I guess it will become easier with practice.
Was your pump recalled due to it being the insight or was you just due a new pump?

\Daf/

Hello Elena, I seem to have these a lot now, ups and down and very highs for long periods, Novo Nordisk still ignoring the situation, and haven’t bothered to answer me.

There are problems with both items, as we all now know and a combination of the pair, is putting lives at risk.

I too am going on the tslim in September now as there are no “reps” to show me how to use the pump, I said I’ll do it alone and muddle through, but the hospital said no, but I do understand that why.

I’ve asked to be completely removed from novo rapid, as I no longer have any faith in their products.

I hope you have success in filling the cartridge, it can only become easier with time, but remember, you are now rid of accu-chek and the Novo Nordisk vials.

\Daf/

This is a worry we could all do without. I'm slowly going into my new diabetic team as I've moved but all care has to be self funded for me and no one to actually discuss this with at the moment. I've been in insight for 7 years and it's been hard to control my blood sugars. I thought it would help a lot

Hello Megan, why do you have to self fund if you’re a type1?

steveo4

Has anyone heard from their CCG yet about their insulin pumps will have to be changed? I've not heard nothing yet but there are some people who've heard already?

Moderator edit: Post moved by merging threads, as duplicate info in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They will contact you if it needs recalling, and to be honest there is no point worrying about it - even if yours does need recalling they may be doing it in batches anyway so you will have to wait your turn.

I know a little while back Medtronic recalled some of the 670g medtronic pumps, but not all as the issue did not affect all of them - only the older ones therefore mine was never recalled as it didn't need to be.

Moderator edit: Post moved by merging threads, as duplicate info in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator: