1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insomnia a symptom of Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Neutralview43, May 25, 2020.

?

Is insomnia a sign/symptom of diabetes/prediabetes?

1. Yes, diabetes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, prediabetes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. No, just borderline high blood glucose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neutralview43

Neutralview43 · Newbie

Hello, so I'm experiencing a problem atm. Whenever I eat a sugary food, no matter what time of the day, at night I can't sleep at all

On the days I avoid sugar completely I'm able to sleep. It's weird because I didn't' have this problem before

I used to be able to eat sugary food ( some days I used to eat a lot even at night) and I was still able to get some sleep

I've searched on google but nowhere does it say that insomnia is a symptom of diabetes or prediabetes

So is this a symptom of diabetes? High blood glucose levels?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You need your gp to give you an hba1c to give you an idea of where you are.

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I know most people get very drowsy with high blood sugars, to the point where they might just fall asleep.
    If you think you may have diabetes, I'd go for a blood check.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Personally I have never experienced insomnia. I fall asleep very easily as soon as I get in bed. I wake once for a bathroom visit, then straight back to sleep. At least 8 hours, no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CelalDari

CelalDari · Guest

The only thing that can confirm or reject your diagnosis is your HbA1c. I cannot stress how important this number is. It should be below 42 mmol/mol for non-diabetics and 48-59 mmol/mol target range for diabetics. My HbA1c upon diagnosis was 134 mmol/mol.

Fasting blood sugar is not that helpful because there are many factors that can influence it at a given time e.g. stress, illness, liver dump. Although anything above 11 would be concerning.

If anything my symptoms were increased tiredness especially after I ate. Your cells require insulin to use the glucose in your blood except your brain and liver which can use the glucose without insulin. The absence of insulin means your cells don’t receive glucose so despite eating, your body is basically being starved which is why diabetics experience increased hunger and tiredness since the cells are demanding more energy and tries to compensate for the energy deficit by breaking down muscle and fat. Although it really does depend which type of diabetic you are if you are at all as type 2 is almost entirely lifestyle based

6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

When I had high BG levels I was fighting to stay awake almost all the time. I slept many hours. Now I have normal levels I frequently stay awake all night. It is as though my internal clock is making up for lost time and running on a longer daylength than 24 hours.
    As I don't need to be anywhere at particular times it doesn't matter if 6 am is the beginning or end of my waking hours. At the moment I am going to bed at the crack of noon. It will slowly get later until I sleep at night in the normal hours, and then, gradually get later again. I don't regard it as anything needing correction, it is just how I work at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In general, high blood sugar makes me sleepy and lethargic. The only insomnia related issue I've had related to diabetes would be restless leg syndrome, but that's not quite the same thing as just insomnia.

8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

People are suggesting that you have an HbA1c test done. That is a good idea, because it will give an overall indication of whether your blood glucose is higher than normal, on average, and by how much.

But if you want to know exactly what is going on, at the time you have the insomnia, then you need a home meter to test your blood glucose at the time.

Of course - and this is said fairly tongue-in-cheek - the simplest solution is to avoid eating anything sugary if you intend to sleep ;)

My own experiences of insomnia are that caffeine, stress (both good and bad), and magnesium deficiency play a far greater part in sleep patterns than blood glucose. Although a rapidly dropping blood glucose will often send me into a deep and muggy sleep, while sleeping hypos are often accompanied by pretty horrific nightmares.

9. Danita1967

Danita1967 · Newbie

Yes indeed had 7 nights of restless when I went very low carb

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Caffeine after 2pm is a problem for me. No coffee or caffeinated tea after 2pm and I sleep much better. That's just my experience.

11. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a type 1 and sleep like a log :p

12. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Your thread title suggested that you thought diabetes/pre-diabetes causes insomnia.
    But now you are saying that you think it was the dietary change rather than the diabetes causing restless sleep?
    Could you clarify?

13. Perminder1

Perminder1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Insomnia also pins needles in hands and ant crawlong sensation

14. Perminder1

Lockdown covid 19 is also causing insomnia uncertainty etc

15. Perminder1

Also when i went sugar zero sweats headaches no sleep

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook