Insomnia Metformin

Blackheath_Teahut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning,

Usually, I can sleep standing up, in a storm, through a firework display, you name it. Once my head touches the pillow, I am gone in minutes.

However, I am on day 9 of Metformin and for the last four nights, absolutely wide awake, all night, not even tired. I am lying there at 4/5 in the morning ordering myself to sleep.
Last night I got to sleep at 5, got up at 9 am, it is now 1.45 am and I feel like I just got out of bed and am ready for the day. Even the idea of trying to go to sleep this wide-awake seems odd. It has to be the Metformin because that is the only thing that's changed, except for cutting out carbs and booze.

Has anyone else had this?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I can’t sleep well when I’m on a keto diet or fasting, the solution was melatonin, bought 3mg capsules , one an hour before bed and I’m out

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Carbohydrates aid the production of serotonin which has a relaxing effect. A large bowl of pasta at lunchtime makes many people sleepy in the afternoon. Alcohol depresses the nervous system. So take those two away and suddenly your body is asking 'what the heck?' This would favour the release of stress hormones like adrenalin and cortisol. No wonder you are awake. Have you increased your supply of protein and healthy fats to compensate for the removal of alcohol and carbohydrate?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve not had sleep problems on Metformin, but I’m not saying that may be the cause of your insomnia though, however low carb has resulted in me needing less sleep, 6-7 hours does me now when I used to sleep way more. I also wonder if the cutting down on alcohol may be the reason?
Ah @Dr Snoddy has explained it much better than me!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had insomnia when my glucose was uncontrolled but I've never had an issue sleeping on keto or metformin. Currently on both.