Instead of Bagels? (Sorry if this makes anyone want a Bagel!)

HeehlandHev

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know if this is healthy at all. Well the Bagels aren’t. I like to make homemade Mackerel Pate, using a tin of mackerel, combined with two Laughing Cow Cheese Triangles, on a Bagel. Alas I guess I won’t be able to have those anymore. But what else could I put it on? What would you put that on? Maybe even cheese triangles are out!
I’m trying to think of how to reduce Carbs in my diet. Chips, Bread and Chocolate are my downfall (I don’t drink or smoke). And of course I’ll be trying to reduce those. Eat more meat, fish, veg, or maybe I should go vegetarian. But, I don’t know if I could.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Going veggie isn't an option for me if I need to keep carbs down - lentils and beans have too many carbs. I know some manage it but I'd crack if all my carb allowance went on beans.

90 second bread, made with ground almonds, is a good substitute for bread - it tastes better toasted so that should be fine?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make mackerel pate using smoked mackerel (found in the fridge section) and creme fraiche. This is quite a lose pate so can be used for dip with something like celery

Reactions: HeehlandHev

HeehlandHev

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
90 second? Is it done in a microwave? Alas I don’t have one now. (I have used almond meal in cakes before though) It seems weird that, there’s gluten free bread, and rolls, why aren’t they making low carb rolls for sale in supermarkets?
Oh I didn’t know that about Lentils. I’ve never really gotten on with Lentils, so that’s a relief. I have Fodmap and Histamine issues. I made a lovely soup, that a neighbour also made, with Lentils, Sweet Potato, Apple and an Onion, it was so tasty when she made it, but when I made it, it nearly killed my gut. Might've been because something was going over. The only thing I’ve been able to eat Lentils in, is Bombay Mix, and then not really.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know if this is healthy at all. Well the Bagels aren’t. I like to make homemade Mackerel Pate, using a tin of mackerel, combined with two Laughing Cow Cheese Triangles, on a Bagel. Alas I guess I won’t be able to have those anymore. But what else could I put it on? What would you put that on? Maybe even cheese triangles are out!
I’m trying to think of how to reduce Carbs in my diet. Chips, Bread and Chocolate are my downfall (I don’t drink or smoke). And of course I’ll be trying to reduce those. Eat more meat, fish, veg, or maybe I should go vegetarian. But, I don’t know if I could.
I do miss bagels. There is low carb "bread" - as you might expect it is quite a bit more expensive than standard bread. Have a look here: https://seriouslylowcarb.com/

I can vouch for the rolls and the"not cross buns". Not really tried much else but they have been adveryising wraps to me which might be a possibility. A low carb bagel would be....perfect.

Slayer Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Once you have been off the chips bread and chocolate for a week or 2 you won’t want them so much.

You could put your late on celery sticks or roll it up in cheese or cold meat slices.

I wouldn’t go veggie if you don’t want to. Meat is your best pal if you are going low carbs.

Good luck

Slayer Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Once you have been off the chips bread and chocolate for a week or 2 you won’t want them so much.

You could put your late on celery sticks or roll it up in cheese or cold meat slices.

I wouldn’t go veggie if you don’t want to. Meat is your best pal if you are going low carbs.

Good luck

Reactions: HeehlandHev

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several optioms:
On lettuce leaves
On cucumber
On cheese crisps
On cheese slices
On lc crackers, homemade are best
On lc soda bread, homemade
On a spoon, ie eat it plain but more of it..
On hard boiled eggs

Bagels and bread are just cheap fillers. Fill up on the more sustaining things with protein and fats instead. I rarely have anything "on" something except when I want a change of texture or some crunch

Several good recipes, including the seedy crackers and soda bread are on here

Or search Internet prefacing your item with "keto"

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite alternative for bagels is the low carb bagel recipe on Elanaspantry.com , can confirm goes very nicely with mackerel or smoked salmon.
edited to add, I halve the recipe and use a mini donut pan to bake them in.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Momma£ has beaten me to it! I was going to suggest that you do a Google search for low carb (or "keto") bagel options either to bake to to buy.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do miss bagels. There is low carb "bread" - as you might expect it is quite a bit more expensive than standard bread. Have a look here: https://seriouslylowcarb.com/

I can vouch for the rolls and the"not cross buns". Not really tried much else but they have been adveryising wraps to me which might be a possibility. A low carb bagel would be....perfect.
Of the things I’ve tried from them the wraps are my favourite :)

Reactions: KennyA

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I sometimes slice a Pepper (any colour) into 4 and then put whatever I am having into the slices of pepper. Works well with Pate.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
90 second? Is it done in a microwave? Alas I don’t have one now. (I have used almond meal in cakes before though) It seems weird that, there’s gluten free bread, and rolls, why aren’t they making low carb rolls for sale in supermarkets?
Oh I didn’t know that about Lentils. I’ve never really gotten on with Lentils, so that’s a relief. I have Fodmap and Histamine issues. I made a lovely soup, that a neighbour also made, with Lentils, Sweet Potato, Apple and an Onion, it was so tasty when she made it, but when I made it, it nearly killed my gut. Might've been because something was going over. The only thing I’ve been able to eat Lentils in, is Bombay Mix, and then not really.
The original recipe is for a microwave but you can use an oven or even a pan to cook bread based on ground almonds (I don't bother with the more expensive almond flour).
I would try the basic recipe at 180C for about 10-12 minutes.
But I prefer mine with a teaspoon of cream cheese as it cuts the eggy taste.