Insulin administration

• Total voters

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please can I have a little advice.

This evening I currently have 12u’s of insulin in my current pen. My current dosage is 20u’s.

Therefore, when you administer you’re dosage what would you do?

Option 1. Release air using 2u’s, then admitster the 10u’s left followed by new pen. Then obviously repeat process and admister another 10u’s from new pen.

Option 2. Just start a new pen and administer the 20u’s

Thanks all in advance

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I would just start a new one too

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t waste the insulin, it’s expensive stuff. Do the two injections, I wouldn’t even do the 2u airshot but just do 0.5 or 1u

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s what I’ve been thinking insulin is expensive stuff, so don’t want to waste it.

With the first pen I’ve had I ended up throwing it still with insulin in it. I thought it had jammed. Only been on insulin a month, so still learning if that makes sense.

My mum is on insulin, so after a chat with her. We established the pen hadn’t jammed but obviously wouldn’t dial up, anymore than the amount it had left.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use up the insulin in the old pen when there's about 10 units or so left and inject the rest from a new pen. And insurance pays for all my insulin. And I do a 1 unit airshot, provided I see insulin coming out.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would have just done with new vial.. I use between 1-4 units in tresiba per day so often have excess left at end of month... but I always change the vial no matter what at the 1st of each month.

I do what’s best for me... my living, my life.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well in the end I did the airshot using my current pen. Then administered 10u’s from that pen, and repeated the process then with a new pen.

This time there was less than 1u left, so I didn’t feel so bad then throwing it out. Will do that in future when I have less than the amount I need.