Insulin and Metformin

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Metformin for the last six months, my consultant thought it may help with problems I was having overnight and generally in helping my insulin to work more effectively. I had not particularly gained weight in the last two years but equally could never shift any! I'm probably borderline overweight but am fairly active and no amount of activity or diet seemed to enable me to shed a few pounds! I struggled with the 'normal' metformin' with digestive problems that are well documented! Switching to slow release is much better! I only take 2 x 500mg when in fact I was originally prescribed the max but felt the results I was getting on this dose was effective. I've lost a bit of weight but I am not so hungry and I my insulin requirements and not drastically lower but still reduced somewhat. I would say it is a success despite my reluctance to take more meds. There is also evidence to suggest it does have a protective element on the heart (but don't quote me on that, I'm sure others know more!) But as I don't take a statin and am in the group that apparently should (!) I'm happy with that!

dawze1955

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being in this usless life
My son has been insulin dependent for the past 14 years. At his last clinic appointment he was prescribed Metformin to take long term as well as insulin, has anyone had experience of this? The side effects look nasty so we are very hesitant to start on the tablets.
have been on slow release metformin and insulin for about 10 years now no side effects what so ever you can only but try

Suhaskulkarni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am insulin dependent diabetic since 1 year & taking Metaformin 1000 mg x 2 per day.
Metaformin is a drug which is called as sensitizer as they increase the effect of natural or exogenous insulin. It do not reduce the blood sugar & hence there is no risk of lowering the blood sugar below normal.
Of course the well diat, exercise & vegi food along with the medication keeps the sugar under control.

D

Deleted member 83869

I never knew this - I don't remember them saying this on the DAFNE course I did. Interesting though. I'm trying to lose weight, am on LCHF (without cheating!) and am reasonably active, walking my dog every day - so in theory I should be dropping the pounds, but I'm not. I'm on 30 units of Lantus a day, and a daily total of around 10 units or less of Humalog. I'm wondering now whether I should reduce the Lantus and up the Humalog instead?

Off to call my DAFNE lady....
I did DAFNE again last week and that really wasn't the case because some people require large doses than others it just depends on the person and there body!

alaska

I never knew this - I don't remember them saying this on the DAFNE course I did. Interesting though. I'm trying to lose weight, am on LCHF (without cheating!) and am reasonably active, walking my dog every day - so in theory I should be dropping the pounds, but I'm not. I'm on 30 units of Lantus a day, and a daily total of around 10 units or less of Humalog. I'm wondering now whether I should reduce the Lantus and up the Humalog instead?

Off to call my DAFNE lady....

Do you take 30 units of Lantus in one shot? Or split over two shots?

DAFNE also advised me that it's best not to inject much more than 10 units in a single shot as it tends not to be as effective. So a single shot of 12 units would probably be fine.

Because I have no problem at all with doing loads of injections, I will usually split a dose of 12 or more units over two different injections. Half the dose in each thigh for a basal dose.

alaska

I did DAFNE again last week and that really wasn't the case because some people require large doses than others it just depends on the person and there body!

Some people may be more insulin resistant than others. If someone is genuinely a type 1 and taking much more than 24 units of basal (say they're taking 40 or more units), it could suggest that a certain amount of insulin resistance may have developed.