Insulin and travelling

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I go away next week for a few days to Budapest.

I am taking hand luggage only and so I got a letter from my doctors confirming that I use insulin and that’s why I will have the needles and Liquid on the plane. I assume this is the only thing I need, but please do confirm in case I have forgotten anything.

I also need to get travel insurance and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for companies? When I went on confused.com it said they couldn’t offer me insurance which I find difficult to believe....

Thanks!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I go away next week for a few days to Budapest.

I am taking hand luggage only and so I got a letter from my doctors confirming that I use insulin and that’s why I will have the needles and Liquid on the plane. I assume this is the only thing I need, but please do confirm in case I have forgotten anything.

I also need to get travel insurance and wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for companies? When I went on confused.com it said they couldn’t offer me insurance which I find difficult to believe....

Thanks!
Hi
That other site, not sure if it's OK mentioning the other forum for us on here. But here goes diabetes.org.uk. The blue and white site we call it. We always use this site for our insurance.
A gp letter and maybe a copy of a prescription or an old insulin box too could be useful if caught short so to speak.
Enjoy Budapest

D

Deleted Account

I always take twice as much of everything than I think I will need.
This includes spare insulin, needles, lancets, test strips, hypo treatment and insulin pens.
I also take a spare battery for my meter (I guess I could take a spare meter but never have).

I put my insulin in a clear plastic bag. This can be a different bag to the one with your shower gel, etc. and take it out in the security screening.

Regarding insurance, the most important thing to check is that your diabetes is covered. Some insurance doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. Unfortunately, this seems to significantly increase the price of insurance but I think there is no point in having it if it does not cover the thing most likely to go wrong. In the past, I have arranged travel insurance through Diabetes UK. I think they have a broker they recommend.

Whilst you are away, you may need to test more often as you are likely to be exercising more and eating differently than at home.

I have read some recommendations that say to find out what “diabetes” is in the local language but confess I usually forget and have never needed it.

And, the last thing is to have fun. Budapest is a cool city.

Reactions: Dodo

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I always take twice as much of everything than I think I will need.
This includes spare insulin, needles, lancets, test strips, hypo treatment and insulin pens.
I also take a spare battery for my meter (I guess I could take a spare meter but never have).

I put my insulin in a clear plastic bag. This can be a different bag to the one with your shower gel, etc. and take it out in the security screening.

Regarding insurance, the most important thing to check is that your diabetes is covered. Some insurance doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. Unfortunately, this seems to significantly increase the price of insurance but I think there is no point in having it if it does not cover the thing most likely to go wrong. In the past, I have arranged travel insurance through Diabetes UK. I think they have a broker they recommend.

Whilst you are away, you may need to test more often as you are likely to be exercising more and eating differently than at home.

I have read some recommendations that say to find out what “diabetes” is in the local language but confess I usually forget and have never needed it.

And, the last thing is to have fun. Budapest is a cool city.
Thanks for the help, I didn’t realise you could get insurance through the diabetes website. I shall have a look now!

I have all my spare supplies and will defiantly be taking lots of test strips as I seem to be havng lots of highs and ‘lows’ at the moment. I say low, not really low but as soon as I get to 7 I feel sick and shaky. I think probably because my levels have been elevated for so long!

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
That other site, not sure if it's OK mentioning the other forum for us on here. But here goes diabetes.org.uk. The blue and white site we call it. We always use this site for our insurance.
A gp letter and maybe a copy of a prescription or an old insulin box too could be useful if caught short so to speak.
Enjoy Budapest
Thanks for the advice. I’m just cautious I don’t want to forget anything as it’s the first time travelling since diagnosis!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
If you know the airline, it's worth checking their regulations about liquid medicines. I got caught once between one set of security that insisted all medicines had to be in original packaging (I.e. box with pharmacy stamp on) and the next that insisted all fluids had to be in visible bottles (not in concealing box).

I'd probably stick a couple of phrases from Google translate down onto a card as well - 'I have diabetes', 'I use insulin'. Hopefully totally useless, ooh nearly forgot the most important one 'I need sugar'.

Hope you have lots of fun.