Insulin capsules

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't take insulin orally as it is destroyed in the stomach. If you are wanting to avoid injections there is an inhaled insulin called Afrezza, but currently only available in the US.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably quite a long way off

I'll say.! It kind of sounded like a dodgy way of "dosing up" when I heard about the idea 20 years ago..? If they got it to work? I felt it would be like "chasing the dragon" with carbs to keep it happy. Not dissimilar the the dark days before MDI...

Do you mean insulin cartridges?

My thoughts again.. Then I googled what I thought was an "abandoned" capsule idea...

If only the OP could elaborate..!?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Jaylee, we've both been diagnosed a similar length of time, I remember reading a newspaper article in the early 80's saying that scientists had developed an insulin capsule that was resistant to the stomach acids, 30 years later and..............................

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee, we've both been diagnosed a similar length of time, I remember reading a newspaper article in the early 80's saying that scientists had developed an insulin capsule that was resistant to the stomach acids, 30 years later and..............................

I wonder if they thought about a milk of magnesia "chaser" for these capsules...? :p

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wonder how long they take to act and what the absorption profile is?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s you did a post recently on HDV insulin (was that here?) , it's still in trials, but that had what sounded a plausible oral insulin proposal.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s you did a post recently on HDV insulin (was that here?) , it's still in trials, but that had what sounded a plausible oral insulin proposal.
They did, but it was still very much in a phase 1 trials level. Had a long way to go.