Insulin cartridge pen woes

worcesterwoman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Having had a major scare with a broken plunger on my Apidra (short acting insulin) a few weeks ago I have been keeping a closer eye on my Humulin I cartridge pen.
My practice only dispenses prescriptions for one pen and so inevitably, 8pm one Friday we realised the plunger had gone and I hadn't been getting insulin for at least a day. We had to use 111 and it took until !.30pm the following day for me to get the right insulin, long story involving three calls to 111 and speaking with three doctors in Rugby, Derby and Worcs before pre-filled pens were dispensed as a temporary measure.
So, having had one scare I am checking my Humulin I pen a Savvio, perhaps as well, because when I dial a dose and then touch the pen to check for a tiny drop flowing out I often find 3 whole units has gone from the dialed up dose!

I am now wondering exactly how accurate these pens are and maybe the dose I have been getting, or not, may explain part of my sugar regulation problem. Having Mitochondrial diabetes means I have to have some sugar and I have noticed that it takes weeks to see a change from an increase of insulin dosage. I've had to switch to cartridges as I find the pre-filled pens too hard to press when injecting.
Anyone else with a questionable pen?

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Novopens have lasted really well and I retire them before they break, usually every 3 or 4 years so that I always have an older working model as backup.

If I was you I'd contact the surgery and insist they issue you with a spare pen.

Alternatively, get a replacement for your current dud pen and then maybe call the surgery in a few weeks and tell them it "broke" again. Bit cheeky but you should always have a backup.

I've only had one pen develop questionable accuracy; an Owen Mumford Autopen 24 and I changed to a Sanofi Clikstar ASAP

worcesterwoman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Thanks for that, I'll get a second pen for the Apidra especially as the new one has an uneven delivery when I press the plunger. As for the Humulin I pen ... I do have a hospital appointment coming up in June they might have heard more about pen problems than my nurse does.