Insulin Correction Factor

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soooo yet another question is the insulin correction factor always the same, i.e 1u of Novorapid reduces it by 3 mmol? Or can that vary and change like the insulin to carb ration?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it can change. I have different correction factors for different times of the day (just as for carb ratios).

D

Deleted Account

It can also vary depending on your BG: typically, we become insulin resistant with a high BG, so need more insulin to correct.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with both responses

my correction ratio is higher in the morning ( liver dump issues I imagine )

whereas late afternoon very small correction can push me down quite quickly.

when my BG is Higher I usually need more to correct

an example -- this morning was 7.1 at 6:10am -- a 0.9u correction brought me down to 4.6 2 hours later

whereas a few days ago a 9.6 at 6:30am required 2.1u to get to a 6.4 approx 2.5 hours later

the ratios work out at 1 to 2.77 at the 7.1
and 1 to 1.52 at the 9.6

these are numbers I am constantly monitoring to adjust correction doses ( weather can have an affect too )

Last edited:
Reactions: therower

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As both above, can vary depending on time of day, sugar level _ if above 10 need half as much again on top of what I usually need. Also pending activity needs to be factored in as certain exercise seems to drop me like a stone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience NOTHING is always the same with diabetes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes mine changes as well. Depends on which side of the bed I get out of Haha

Seriously though. Mine changes as the day goes on but it does seem the higher I wake up, the more it takes to correct and if I wake up on the low end it can over correct.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, insulin correction factor varies, you bet it! In my experience it may depend on time of the day, day of the month, month of the year, hours of sleep, previous hypos or hypers, general health, physical activity level, kind of food I am going to have for a meal… you name it. AND mine is generally twice/trice smaller than average. Well, actually, I found out that 'average' is a meaningless word in the T1 experience.

David1234P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
bad days :(
Yes, insulin correction factor varies, you bet it! In my experience it may depend on time of the day, day of the month, month of the year, hours of sleep, previous hypos or hypers, general health, physical activity level, kind of food I am going to have for a meal… you name it. AND mine is generally twice/trice smaller than average. Well, actually, I found out that 'average' is a meaningless word in the T1 experience.

Thanks Bic, such obvious advice in my opinion. Can get stuck in a rut of insulin correction balance (Me :) As for meaningless average, that really does ring true in my experiences.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys. This is all new to me, the ole 70/30 was sooooo much less calculating. Anyway lets see.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that 1 unit of NovoRapid lower BS by 3mmol/L but I'm not sure that's the case, if I've over 10 then I defo need more then then a couple of units. Anyway it's all new to me at the moment so lets see.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that 1 unit of NovoRapid lower BS by 3mmol/L but I'm not sure that's the case, if I've over 10 then I defo need more then then a couple of units. Anyway it's all new to me at the moment so lets see.
It's quite common for the 1:3 ratio you quote to not work with higher BS levels.
If on occasion I go above 15 for reasons other than intense exercise then I will often consider a 1:1 ratio.
There are things to consider though. What food has caused high BS, how recently was last injection, when do I intend eating/ injecting again.
Everyone is unique and therefore we have to find what works best for us, add to that , each day can be different and it's easy to see how " set " ratios will not always give set results.

SKB_9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But how do you know all this? I haven't a clue what mine would be, I'm just guessing all the time. I have only been diagnosed 7 months so not very experienced, I'd love to have all this information but I don't understand how you work it all out

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SKB_9 The best way of checking your correction ratio is to keep a record and detailing in your diary of when you take it, what your bg reading was, how much was taken and what the following bg results were, ideally without taking any further insulin on board. Correction ratios are a personal thing so only you can work out what suits you. Your DSN would start you off on say 1 unit = 3 mmol/l which is a good starting point but would need adjusting in time.

Correction ratios are also reviewed on the DAFNE course so it’s good to get onto this course when you can.

SKB_9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SKB_9 The best way of checking your correction ratio is to keep a record and detailing in your diary of when you take it, what your bg reading was, how much was taken and what the following bg results were, ideally without taking any further insulin on board. Correction ratios are a personal thing so only you can work out what suits you. Your DSN would start you off on say 1 unit = 3 mmol/l which is a good starting point but would need adjusting in time.

Correction ratios are also reviewed on the DAFNE course so it’s good to get onto this course when you can.

Thanks for this. I was told I would be considered for the DAFNE course in the new year so maybe I will hear something soon.

sasuzzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes it can change. I have different correction factors for different times of the day (just as for carb ratios).

How do you calculate it at different times of the day? I would need it because I have only one value for the whole day and I would like to change it according to the hour but with the 1800 rule I have only one value. Thank you.