Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
In the UK we follow the 100 rule for calculating your insulin sensitivity as we measure in mmol/l, so say over 3-4 days calculate your total daily dose TDD, divide 100 by your TDD and this is your figure, however this figure is affected by stress, time of day, exercise etc so it's more of a guide.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Juicyj has stated I did the same calculation to approximate my ISF by dividing 100 by my total daily dose. Then did further basal rate testing and when my basal rates where as spot on they could be I gave a small correction dose with no IOB an no food eaten in last 4 hours (last meal being lowish in fat) and devided the mmol drop by the correction dose given i.e just recently had a reading of 7.6 gave .5 units. 4 hours later was 5.7 drop of 1.9. divided this by .5 gave me a ISF of 3.8. for that particular time of day (ie morning ISF)Hope this helps

Last edited:

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest how do you take fractions of a unit? 0.9 for example. Does 0.1 of a unit really make that much difference? Is it pump related? (I haven’t got one! ). Thanks

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest how do you take fractions of a unit? 0.9 for example. Does 0.1 of a unit really make that much difference? Is it pump related? (I haven’t got one! ). Thanks
Yes I'm lucky enough to be on an insulin pump due to me experiencing many hypos during the night and bad DP and also being fairly insulin sensitive. MDI and splitting my background insulin didn't work that well for me

sasuzzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As Juicyj has stated I did the same calculation to approximate my ISF by dividing 100 by my total daily dose. Then did further basal rate testing and when my basal rates where as spot on they could be I gave a small correction dose with no IOB an no food eaten in last 4 hours (last meal being lowish in fat) and devided the mmol drop by the correction dose given i.e just recently had a reading of 7.6 gave .5 units. 4 hours later was 5.7 drop of 1.9. divided this by .5 gave me a ISF of 3.8. for that particular time of day (ie morning ISF)Hope this helps

Have you not waited too many hours (4) to get the ISF that you were looking for? would it have been better after 2 hours (or 3)? anyway, your help is very useful to me.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you not waited too many hours (4) to get the ISF that you were looking for? would it have been better after 2 hours (or 3)? anyway, your help is very useful to me.
You should really wait at least 4 hours following eating to check your ISF this way as if you check any earlier you will still have insulin in your system for the food you have eaten insulin normally lasts around 4hrs ish. You may find the following link about basal testing from 'Mysugar' useful :) https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

sasuzzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
[QUOTE = "Postleneo, post: 1667465, membro: 260061"] Dovresti davvero aspettare almeno 4 ore dopo aver mangiato per controllare la tua ISF in questo modo, come se ne controllassi una qualsiasi prima avresti ancora insulina nel tuo sistema per il cibo che hai l'insulina alimentare dura normalmente circa 4 ore ish. È possibile trovare il seguente link sul test di base da "Mysugar" utile :) https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/ [/ QUOTE]

Perfect. TY. grazie.