Insulin doses

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im on 20 units lantus morning and 8 evening and at the moment 2 units of nova rapid 3x a day. it was 10x 3 but ive had to cut it to maintain my bloods in the 5s. would it be better to cut the background and up the bolus some what/ or could i even stop the rapid. im eating around 45 carbs.

another silly question i notice when i cut my insulin my bg drop for a day.anyone else had this. then pop upto 6 and slowly start to drop again. until im in the high 4s.

leahkian

If i was you i would contact your DNS and ask for advice as if you change it yourself then it will be harder for the DNS to sort out. If your BS are between 5-7 then that is good control and if it was i then i would keep doing what you are doing.

Reactions: himtoo and paulus1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
28 basal to 6 units of bolus seems a bit out of sync on ratio but we are all individual... For that ratio reason I would really recommend basal testing...

Reactions: paulus1

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
will give it a go. not been told about it so its new to me. i do think my basel is maybe a little high. makes sense i suppose. i had better contact my dn. ty folks im still new to this stuff

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you need to check your Basal balance. As others have said it may need reducing but try to get support from the DN if you can. In simple terms the Basal's job is to balance the background output from the liver so if you eat nothing, your blood sugar should stay stable. The job of the Bolus is to cater for the food you eat.

Reactions: donnellysdogs