Insulin hard to push out

Jennofspades

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Does anyone know whether insulin injects properly when the pen is really hard to push down? I feel like it comes out too slow to go in as it's so hard to push. I've had this happen with 2 pens now. Not sure what causes it? Should I throw pens like that away? It's like something is lodged in there or there's not enough room for the insulin. Tried several needles so it's not that. Would be graeful of any advice on this. Thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jennofspades I'm assuming we're talking about disposable pens. What particular pens are causing you problems.
Are you performing an air shot prior to injecting? Are you having problems with the air shots?
Could you be suffering with lipohypertrophy?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if you're describing what I've sometimes experienced. Dial up the units on the pen, do an air shot, inject and the rotating end with your thumb on it doesn't want to move.
Often I've found my thumb is applying pressure but not in a pure downward direction. Try adjusting your thumb.
Sometimes the end simply needed a hard push, and I've found this with some pens. I've never given up on a pen (well, I wouldn't want a pen giving up on me :( )
Geoff

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know whether insulin injects properly when the pen is really hard to push down? I feel like it comes out too slow to go in as it's so hard to push. I've had this happen with 2 pens now. Not sure what causes it? Should I throw pens like that away? It's like something is lodged in there or there's not enough room for the insulin. Tried several needles so it's not that. Would be graeful of any advice on this. Thanks
I'm a type 1 diabetic , the first thing is screw on the needle, then use the setting on the top of your insulin pen say 10 then press the push down so you get some insulin coming out, if it comes out you reset the setting to the amount of insulin you need,then when you are ready and inject your self now sometimes its slow so what i do is to count to 20 that's giving the insulin enough time for your injection..myself i use a 4mm screw on pen needle which is thin , one day i used a 6mm screw on pen needle that worked faster. you can get air bubbles or if that pens nearly empty or not enough left in it wont work. were do you keep the pens if you leave them in the fridge the insulin too cold will sting when you inject it and you can have problems with the pens action.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes have this happen. I find it's either I injected into a hard flesh area or the needle is slightly blocked (I use one needle per day so they are not always 'new'). I usually just slow down and keep applying gentle pressure and allow time for the insulin to come out. Sometimes I'll pull out and check that the needle isn't blocked by doing another air-shot after re-setting.

Ingressus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jenno i had the same problem i was not screwing the needle on tight enough