Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There was a short piece in the news about this either yesterday or the day before. Some are calling it a hoax and others are calling it 'Remoaners last ditch attempt to scupper Brexit' scaremongering. Either way, there are people who are now stockpiling medicines.

NB I have no political views to share on the subject of Brexit.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other hand we may see the end of 'parallel imports' and having had faulty Lantus acquired under that scheme won't be sad to see the back of it, and we must have imported insulin pre common market membership so I'd not worry too much.

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all apparently going to get super gonorrhoea too!! Of course that would be more of an issue, because there would be no regular supply chain for the medicine, and the increase in demand might take a while to be sorted out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ergonorrhoea-health-chief-warns-a3898186.html

It's quite disturbing that so many people in politics, and running quangos are so prone to hysteria, I wonder if it's the public schools, or something going wrong at Oxbridge. We clearly need wider recruitment policies.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used both Novo Nordisk & Eli Lilly insulin back in the eighties and that was before the EU, ,my son messaged me asking about this earlier on worrying, it's not the supply chain but how much HM government will have to pay in tax, although I'm sure medicines have different tax rules anyway.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I saw something about this a while back, but as it doesn't affect me directly as a T2 I can't remember when or where I read it. Obviously if your life depends on the availability of essential medications it's a pretty worrying situation though.

I'm not actually a political beastie though I am definitely not a Brexit fan...And it does concern me somewhat that there will probably be all sorts of other similar issues coming to light.

Robbity

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure I saw something about this a while back, but as it doesn't affect me directly as a T2 I can't remember when or where I read it. Obviously if your life depends on the availability of essential medications it's a pretty worrying situation though.

I'm not actually a political beastie though I am definitely not a Brexit fan...And it does concern me somewhat that there will probably be all sorts of other similar issues coming to light.

Robbity

The only reason leaving on WTO terms would be a problem would be if we weren't properly prepared. Theresa May has to take responsibility for any lack of preparedness.

Also her dead in the water chequers plan, funnily enough, makes no deal more likely, not less likely.

There, now you know.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
From what I can gather they thought it cannot get any worse.... in the North-East and South-East. A change was needed.

Where people are ill through stress and needing more and more medicines to just walk.
Sometimes you have to go back to successful go forward!!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
There was a short piece in the news about this either yesterday or the day before. Some are calling it a hoax and others are calling it 'Remoaners last ditch attempt to scupper Brexit' scaremongering. Either way, there are people who are now stockpiling medicines.

What I want to know is how many medications have a very short shelf life?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What I want to know is how many medications have a very short shelf life?

Exactly, I suppose insulin would be pretty unique in that stockpiling can only go so far. I am clinging to the thought that no European country (who are still our allies, after all) would refuse to trade vital medicines with us. Who would benefit from such actions? This whole process has been a mess since day one.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly, I suppose insulin would be pretty unique in that stockpiling can only go so far. I am clinging to the thought that no European country (who are still our allies, after all) would refuse to trade vital medicines with us. Who would benefit from such actions? This whole process has been a mess since day one.

Good god!!! the only circumstances under which one country can refuse to supply medicines to another, is when international sanctions are in place.

There would probably have to be a UN resolution before EU countries could stop supplying the UK with insulin.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Obviously I don't recommending this bad practice but in Nigeria it wasn't unknown for them to still take just out of date tablets as long as stored well.
Insulin if out of date won't be effective, from what I understand.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

We should prepare for disruption to supply chains, especially just in time. It's only prudent

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was in the Daily Fail yesterday. I’m pretty worried.
Stop reading the DM
1247511a39297d72cbed64faa0b94a93.jpg

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all apparently going to get super gonorrhoea too!! Of course that would be more of an issue, because there would be no regular supply chain for the medicine, and the increase in demand might take a while to be sorted out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ergonorrhoea-health-chief-warns-a3898186.html

It's quite disturbing that so many people in politics, and running quangos are so prone to hysteria, I wonder if it's the public schools, or something going wrong at Oxbridge. We clearly need wider recruitment policies.
We need a sensible appraisal of what might/might not happen

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only reason leaving on WTO terms would be a problem would be if we weren't properly prepared. Theresa May has to take responsibility for any lack of preparedness.

Also her dead in the water chequers plan, funnily enough, makes no deal more likely, not less likely.

There, now you know.
Q. How many trade deals will we have on 1st April 2019?
A. 0