Insulin injection sites

mancunian61

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm Type 2 and about four weeks or so into taking insulin after a serious DKA incident, on tablets before that.

Now taking fixed doses of Novarapid 3 x daily at breakfast, lunch and tea and Lantus in the middle of the day.

At the moment I am injecting into my abdomen, trying to move areas each day to rotate sites as advised, I don't feel confident enough yet to try the tops of my legs etc.

My question is sometimes it looks like the insulin is seeping out of the injection site a little as I take the needle out - is this normal, or am I doing something wrong. I do leave the needle in for the count of ten, just to make sure I am not taking out too quickly. the needle size is 4mm.

My other question on the same theme is sometimes a little pin prick of blood seeps out, is this normal or again am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice and comments :)

Ann

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Ann.

What you describe is perfectly normal. The blood may be because you have gone through a capillary.

It will be good to use your thighs when you are ready as it gives you more places to space injections out.

Good luck with it all and hope you are recovering from the DKA

mancunian61

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ann.

What you describe is perfectly normal. The blood may be because you have gone through a capillary.

It will be good to use your thighs when you are ready as it gives you more places to space injections out.

Good luck with it all and hope you are recovering from the DKA

Yes, thanks I am recovering but it was a big shock and I had no realisation about what was happening to me, I also had/have bowel problems which is what ultimately caused the DKA.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good to hear that you are getting over it, T2s are not really told about DKA even though some are at risk.

Reactions: mancunian61

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you testing your blood sugars? Many GPs tell their T2s not to test (a cynic might say it's because then they don't have to prescribe/pay for blood testing strips) but once you're on insulin you really do need to test.

mancunian61

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you testing your blood sugars? Many GPs tell their T2s not to test (a cynic might say it's because then they don't have to prescribe/pay for blood testing strips) but once you're on insulin you really do need to test.

Yes, I've been told to test before injecting the insulin and last thing at night, - so 4 x daily. There doesn't seem to be any problem in my getting the strips, so far but I was also allowed them to a limit when I was taking the tablets, as one of them could have taken me to a hypo if not monitored.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I experience similar issues with injection. One of the DSN team suggested counting to twenty rather than ten. This seems to help. Her other suggestion to use a slightly longer needle.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the insulin. It takes some adjusting to

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have a similar small amount of insulin coming out occasionally; same for a small drop of blood. I started with the abdomen for both insulins but quickly started using the outer thighs for the Basal and the abdomen for the Bolus.