Insulin Injection Worries

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new here, first of kind of a worrywart so pardon if this question seems weird. I was trying to give my evening dose of insulin, I had primed the my abdominal area, put a new needle on my pen Novolog I use a BD Fine 4mm. I was about to insert the needle and it hasn't gone in just touched the skin surface it bled a little and had a mark. I tried another spot same happened, so I noticed the needle was sharper than usual so I changed needles and tried it worked no problem. My question is that normal and what to do next time? Never happened before being a worrier I kinda thought the needle might be defective or infected. I just started using insulin again.

K

Knikki

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

HMMM!!!! tricky one.

OK

Couple of questions:

Where were you trying to inject, stomach, leg some other area? the area you picked may have had a bunch of capillaries near the surface so like below you just caught one of them and bled.

Was it warm? because you might have been warm you may find that the capillaries are very much closer to the skin surface so may have been unlucky and just caught something.

You say the needle was sharper? I would have though the oposite, but I certainly could be wrong.

Thing is that needles are mass produced so there may have been a faulty one, but if you removed it and then replaced it and injected as normal I would say its OK.

I do occasionally get a similar thing and like you replace the needle and continue as normal.

Hope that helps.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was injecting in my tummy area. I have a hard time doing so in my thigh.

It was not too warm just normal evening here which around 27-28C. It was humid though so maybe that.

It felt sharp the needle, when I tried to insert it.
Could it be the pinch? Or it was a weird needle. I will try to avoid that area next time.

Thanks for replying to my first post