Type 1 Insulin Intake and Weight

Shari68

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I was rediagnosed last year with Lada. I had lost a lot of weight before being rediagnosed. In the past year I have put on a lot of weight, but I have found that I have to take more insulin than the normal 1 unit to 10g of carbs. I mostly have to take 2 units per 10g. Would this be due to me being overweight now?
Thanks in advance

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1 to 10 is a starting point for dosing, there is no "normal" amount
My ratios vary between 1:6 and 1:8.5 currently, however I know I used to be on 1:5 (ie what you're on by the sounds of things) for quite a long time and I was normally verging on underweight at that point.

Basically ratios can change, and don't assume 1:10 is what its supposed to be for everyone, it's not, whatever works for you is what you need
May just be as you're getting slightly older (no-one can stop the passage of time right), might be due to slightly more weight, might be that the weather has gotten better, might be that the moon was shining brighter, ie it could be anything.

Reactions: Shari68

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your LADA I’d be tempted to put it down to decreased insulin production from your pancreas.

Do you get regular c-peptide tests to measure this?

The less your pancreas can ‘help out’ the more your insulin ratio is likely to increase.

Shari68

If your LADA I’d be tempted to put it down to decreased insulin production from your pancreas.

Do you get regular c-peptide tests to measure this?

The less your pancreas can ‘help out’ the more your insulin ratio is likely to increase.
Hi Tash, no I've not had a c-pep test, or check up since I was rediagnosed last year. The only test I've had since is my hb1ac. My basal is now up to 44 units a day. I have been increasing this myself, as and when I need to.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's very important when on insulin and gaining weight to reduce your carb intake. The same as any non-diabetic if you eat too many carbs you may gain weight. I suspect you may have insulin resistance due to the weight gain and the insulin you take will be fighting that. Do you know what your earlier C-Peptide result was?

Shari68

No I don't know what my last test result was. I have cut down on my carb intake. I have been unable to exercise as I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, I'm constantly in pain, and can't stand or walk for long. I used to swim and do aqua aerobics as being in the water helped, but since lockdown, and the sports centres being shut I've been unable to. So all this has probably contributed to the weight gain too.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s worth getting in touch with your team, push for a new c-peptide and see where you stand. I’ve been told I will have these levels tested until I’m out of the honeymoon period.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
T1/LADA can effectively have T2 as well but it doesn’t get classed as T2. You are still considered T1/LADA with insulin resistance

Weight/fat can cause insulin resistance abs losing that can help a long with a good low carb diet

I say ‘can’ because that may not be your case…. 1:10 , 1:12 sometimes 1:16 is just a starting point there is no normal.. everyone if different and lifestyle can also impact this.. I have changed over the years started 1:10. Went to 1:8 and now on 1:9.

Now, if you want to lose the weight to see what Benefits come from it les insulin maybe one of the benefits…. You need to be more careful when on insulin as it will force you to store all the energy from what you eat so eat too much and the weight will pile on..

My dad was until recently on 1:4 he changed injection site and has changed to 1:9