Insulin & metformin

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - is anybody on metformin and insulin?? I’ve been t1 for 5 years now. I’m 11 stone and have gradually gained a stone over the last couple of years and struggling to lose. Dr has prescribed metformin to use alongside my insulin - has anyone used this before together and does it aid weight loss? Thanks!! X

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on both too.
Was overweight when diagnosed type 1 so doc started me on both. Said the metformin will help with weight control
Not sure if it did
Im sure I've read that insulin use can cause weight gain. With me it hasnt so far. Not sure if this is thanks to the metformin .

Reactions: briony1

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Dr Bernstein and my diabetes nurse recommends Metformin as an insulin sensitising agent, which theoretically means you will need lower doses of insulin. However, my consultant doesn't think it does anything and that I should be on insulin only.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i take insulin and metformin i dont need to lose any weight ,i take the metformin due to insulin sensitivity if i dont take it my numbers go ridiculously high ,not that the metformin brings my bgs down it just acts like a key for my insulin to work properly this is how my consultant explained it to me . :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take both, although I have yet to see any significant weight loss from it......

I have started slimming world however but I believe the weight loss recently has been from that....

I do believe the metformin has reduced my basal insulin though....