Insulin out of the fridge

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

So I am on my first international holiday and I left my insulin in my suitcase for about 48 hours. I honestly forgot about it. I’m wondering if it’s still ok to use/ how will I know?
Do I need to purchase some here?
Any advice please.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I've never had a problem with insulin being not refrigerated. After all the insulin in your pumps/pens in not permanently chilled, my pump is kept in my trouser pocket most of the day, which is far from cool!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if it isn't as effective as it usually is then it may be compromised but that's the only way you'll know
xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Should be ok for the usual 28 days unrefigerated.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be fine for at least 4 weeks, just like pens in use, provided it isn't too hot where you are.
After that it's wait and see. How long do you plan t stay away and for how long do you have insulin with you?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in Illinois and will have enough now for while I’m here.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in Illinois and will have enough now for while I’m here.
I meant if you'll be away for longer or shorter than 4 weeks, as your insulin will be fine for that period.
You might get problems with your insulin if you're going to be away for 3 months and enough insulin for that period has gotten warm. You won't have a problem at all if you're only away for a couple of weeks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

So I am on my first international holiday and I left my insulin in my suitcase for about 48 hours. I honestly forgot about it. I’m wondering if it’s still ok to use/ how will I know?
Any advice please.

Hi,

Has your suitcase containing the insulin been in the "hold" of a plane?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi all

Any advice please.
Hi @NaijaChick I'm assuming you normally have to inject insulin everyday right? I'm also assuming that doing this at home you keep your daily dose (insulin pen) with you and not in the fridge, right?
If this is the case, then there is no reason why it'd be a problem on your holihos so long as it's been kept at a room temp or 15-20C but any guys reading, check me if I'm wrong

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
at a room temp or 15-20C but any guys reading, check me if I'm wrong
Perfectly right, but it's also fine if it's kept between above freezing and about 28 C or even a little higher :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfectly right, but it's also fine if it's kept between above freezing and about 28 C or even a little higher :)

.... & hopefully it hasn't spent 9 or 10 hours traveling in the hold at high altitude. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
.... & hopefully it hasn't spent 9 or 10 hours traveling in the hold at high altitude. ;)
Nowadays the holds are usually kept above freezing, so likely not a problem either :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I wouldn’t like to take the chance.

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t like to take the chance.
Neither would I, but more because of the risk of not being reunited with my luggage at the end of the flight than because of the temperature.
However, NaijaChick has already arrived at her destination, insulin and all, so I wanted her to know her insulin is probably fine, even if it has travelled in the hold.

Reactions: EllieM

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Antje77 @Jaylee ... Depends on the hold temp controls which in turn TOTALLY depends on the a/c type. Aircraft ceilings don't matter at all when it comes to jets as they're (for all intents and purposes) flying at much the same height.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Well if it's been in the hold, I've read it's useless. Sorry

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m wondering if it’s still ok to use/ how will I know?

Well, if it isn't working then your blood sugar will probably go up quite quickly.... But as others have said, it really depemds on whether it's been frozen....

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well if it's been in the hold, I've read it's useless. Sorry

Sorry @SueJB .... just not true. Take that to the bank from a tarmac load controlling manager that has considerable experience with a LOT of aircraft :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM