1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin overdose

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Clairebear87, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Clairebear87

Clairebear87 Don't have diabetes · Newbie

On 28th April My sister took an insulin overdose. My mum found her unconscious and struggling to breath we believe this to be 8-12 hours after the overdose had been taken. At the time we had no idea what had happened and the paramedics believed it was a bleed on the brain. My sister was in a coma for 4 weeks and was not able to breathe without assistance. Within them four weeks we were told she would not survive as her brain was severely damaged and parts were dead. Since then she is breathing all on her own, moving around the bed tossing and turning constantly and just crys and wails. She is very much in a brain damage state. It's very disheartening to see. We have been told that the brain damage is so bad that they don't believe she will be any different to this has anyone else suffered from this before or know anything as to whether she will get better.
    Thanks

Claire

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

3. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Clairebear87
    I think that all we can all do right now is hope and pray for a good outcome for your sister.

• Like Like x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Clairebear87 Just sending you, your sister and your family all my best wishes.

She proved the doctors wrong once and I'm praying she can do it again and improve. XXXXX

• Like Like x 2
  5. lizziewizzie

lizziewizzie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't have any advice with this but I just want to say I'm so sorry you're going through this and that your sister felt so low. Thinking of you all xxx

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Clairebear87 Sorry to hear about your sister, wishing you and your family some good news at this difficult time and hope there is a positive outcome, best wishes x

• Like Like x 4
  7. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Claire, hope you sister pulls through this difficult time. I will pray for you and your family so please know we are thinking of you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook