Insulin Profiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Eveyone,

Would anybody like to share their expreince of how well their insulin matches the glycaemic release of their carbs/meal. I've just got a freestlye libre and I am suprised at how high the bloodsugar can rise after eating, even when it's a low glycaemic index food, like porridge.

I would really appreciate other insulin users profile experience with different foods and different portion sizes and the impact mix foods with slow release foods like cheese, etc to slow down the release of their meal. e.g a slice of bread on its own would release fairly quickly, but when combined with cheese (aka known as a cheese sandwich) will release more slowly.

I'm starting to think about the low carb high freqency idea I have seen yesterday mentioned by some members of this group.

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find I need to do my bolus more in advance for my breakfast than other meals. I eat cereal, but in this case I think it's the time of day more than the food eaten.

In general, I find bolusing more in advance of meals has been the most useful thing to deal with spikes :) Even the very fast acting insulins need an advance bolus, I've found.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find I need to do my bolus more in advance for my breakfast than other meals. I eat cereal, but in this case I think it's the time of day more than the food eaten.

In general, I find bolusing more in advance of meals has been the most useful thing to deal with spikes :) Even the very fast acting insulins need an advance bolus, I've found.
Hey, thanks very much for that. This is really good advice. I will give this a go with taking the insulin earlier. This could be a really good way to deal with the spike. Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, thanks very much for that. This is really good advice. I will give this a go with taking the insulin earlier. This could be a really good way to deal with the spike. Thanks

You're welcome :) If you're going to move your bolus earlier then do it gradually and cautiously. The optimum time is different for different people, so only experience will tell you what works for you.

For me, having my bolus at the right time (ie in advance) means my after breakfast sugar is around 6 or so rather than around 11.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're welcome :) If you're going to move your bolus earlier then do it gradually and cautiously. The optimum time is different for different people, so only experience will tell you what works for you.

For me, having my bolus at the right time (ie in advance) means my after breakfast sugar is around 6 or so rather than around 11.
Thanks for the further information. Taking it earlier really does make a massive difference. For you, how long before you eat do you take our short acting? 5mins? 15mins?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the further information. Taking it earlier really does make a massive difference. For you, how long before you eat do you take our short acting? 5mins? 15mins?

I'm on porcine insulin now, but when I was on Humalog I took it approx 30 mins before breakfast. For other meals, I took it around 10 mins before. Breakfast was my main one. I brought it forward gradually in 5 min intervals and was always very careful when doing so.

iHs

I bolus about 30mins in advance for eating porridge or weetabix at breakfast but for all my other meals I tend to bolus just before eating as I never know what the true carb value is until I see it on the dinnerplate and as I dont live on my own, I'm reluctant to bolus in advance and then heat meal up in the microwave 30mins later.