Insulin Pump Medtronic 640G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just received this pump and need to get it insured. My home insurance told me they could insure it but I would have to pay the £250 excess. I need a company that can insure the £3000 device and give me exactly that should I lose it or if it gets stolen.

I am having lots of problems with the Minimed Mio infusion sets. I have used 5 cannulas and only 1 has worked. Testing after a meal my BG is 20 because of these useless things and takes hours to correct. What is the best cannula that most use with this pump to have the fewest problems?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as this has been a miserable start to a piece of equipment I fought so hard for.

Kevin

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya, I had a similar issue when I got started with my Medtronic 670g (end of July) with the cannulas, it wasn't that they didn't "work" for me but any bolus over a unit stung or itched a lot and caused the occasional yelp. But yeah I'd also been fighting for years to get a pump so really wanted it to work.

The default appeared to be the Advanced Mio sets but for me they just don't work on my stomach, I think its cos I have very little fat there, I don't have much muscle either but I have very little fat there, I ended up on the Mio 30's, though occasionally they do still itch a bit with larger boluses.
However this was the suggestion of the Medtronic trainer, so you need to talk to whoever trained you as they may have a different suggestion for you (and your hospital clinic will have to approve the relevant sets from medtronic anyways)
(As it happens I'm now using the Mio 30's for my stomach and the Advanced for my legs/backside as the Mio 30's caused lumps there).

I'm using https://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/ site for my insurance, 7quid a month, not had to claim yet though havent actually used it but a few on these forums suggested them

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @kevinmartinuk_ The mio sets kink, I had loads of issues with them so for me the sure t was the best set and I had no kinks or faults with those.

In regards to insurance I didn’t bother as they are covered under warranty - highly unlikely to get lost or stolen as they are permanently attached to you however they are prone to cracks so check the casing frequently and this is covered under your warranty.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @kevinmartinuk_ In regards to insurance I didn’t bother as they are covered under warranty - highly unlikely to get lost or stolen as they are permanently attached to you however they are prone to cracks so check the casing frequently and this is covered under your warranty.
When I first got my pump I had to sign something at the clinic agreeing to insure the pump. I didn't have any insurance for longer than I care to admit, but it kept unclipping off my waistband and whacking into things, particularly when I was in the middle of sitting down, for peace of mind I have insurance now as while it's unlikely you'll lose your pump or it gets stolen, I don't believe the warranty would cover damage to the pump if it's gets dropped or otherwise damaged?
I use the same insurers as @Rokaab :)

I use the Mio infusion sets, I have plenty of fat though :D

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sleepster - i have had 4 pumps crack from Medtronic now and every time I’ve called them they have questioned me over them, as they are permanently attached except for baths or showers when I remove I put to one side in a shelf, so have to assume it’s an inherent issue with the quality of them, each has been replaced. I do understand the important of insurance because if they were accidentally dropped then it would be evident. I am now using a Tandem and the rep asked me to insure so am looking into this.

Reactions: sleepster

Jen Farrar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just received this pump and need to get it insured. My home insurance told me they could insure it but I would have to pay the £250 excess. I need a company that can insure the £3000 device and give me exactly that should I lose it or if it gets stolen.

I am having lots of problems with the Minimed Mio infusion sets. I have used 5 cannulas and only 1 has worked. Testing after a meal my BG is 20 because of these useless things and takes hours to correct. What is the best cannula that most use with this pump to have the fewest problems?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as this has been a miserable start to a piece of equipment I fought so hard for.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I've been using Silhouette MMT 378A 17mm with my Medtronic pumps for over a decade and have had very few problems with them.
Nearly all of those issues have been down to the position I have inserted the infusion set, not the actual sets.
I would highly recommend manual insertion too. It allows you to choose a site that isn't painful and adjust the angle of insertion slightly if you don't have much adipose tissue to insert into.
These days I cover the insertion portion of the infusion site with Kendall transparent film dressing to help keep the site cleaner and more inflammation free.
I hope that helps
Cheers, Jen