Insulin pump

Ljohanlon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just seeking a bit of advice. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 14 years now, I got diagnosed at the age of 10. I was offered the pump a few years ago but I absolutely hated the idea, so I kindly said "no thanks" but now that I am a little older and a little wiser, I am really considering getting it and haven't stopped looking in to it for a few months now. I was just hoping if people could tell me their views and opinions on it. And how long does it usually take to get it once you have requested it? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: himtoo

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been on the pump for 6 years , I'm really pleased that I went on it . I was only excepted on the pump when I did the Dafne course and even after this I had to wait six months . , it might be different now , you might get it a lot quicker . Good luck with it .

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And how long does it usually take to get it once you have requested it? Thanks in advance.

In total it was 6 months for me, but from funding approval to actually pumping insulin it was 3 months.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on a pump for the last 8 weeks after being a diabetic for the last 37yrs and can honestly say that I feel as normal a person as a Type 1 could ever hope to feel. It's definitely worth doing and I certainly don't miss the jabs. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a pump for 12 years and love it! It's given me my freedom back. Within two or three days of getting it, I started to feel 'normal' - like I did before I got diabetes. I think this was because the pump smoothed out my sugars enormously.

I'd never give mine back! I love it!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Having a pump certainly has been a major upheaval in my care, I do however review, adjust and monitor my results alot so it does take input to make it work for me, I don't ever seem to have a 'regular pattern' with my BG results, I seem to be very sensitive to hormonal changes, heat, stress etc so I have to put the effort in to get the results back. I have reduced my HbA1c from 68 to 62 in 6 months since being on the pump vs MDI. Getting the pump took me a year and rejection so I kept an open mind throughout the process that it may/may not happen, and even now I make sure my DSN can see that I am doing the best I can to make this work for me, so reporting in frequently with my results and contacting my DSN every 2-3 weeks to check in. It is worth it if you're prepared to put the effort into it ;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the pump has made life easier for sure.
it is harder work but somehow seems less intrusive.

I am totally for pumps !!!!!!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have been using a pump for 17 month now after over 50 years of injections,and for me it's been life changing,but to be honest you will only get as much out of a pump as you are prepared to put in,unfortunately it's not plug and play.If you go for a pump I wish you all the best of luck.