Insulin resistance/bloods not dropping like normal?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys,

I'm not quite sure whats going on. all of yesterday and this morning my bloods arent dropping with corrections or exercise :-/

They arent stupid high (low teens mostly) just higher than I would like. I easily walked 5 miles yesterday and mowed the lawn but no real change, the only time they dipped was with a 60% increase in basal on top of correction and exercise. That would normally put me in hospital with lows.

This is much more than the usual 'hormones'

any ideas?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" Sheri Colberg says that if you have delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) "you won't be able to restore glycogen in affected muscles until they're fully repaired, which can lead you to be insulin resistant and cause your blood sugars to be harder to manage." She also says you are more likely to get DOMS with new or unaccustomed activities (first mowing of the lawn in spring?). She also says certain types of exercise are more likely to cause DOMS: going downstairs, running downhill, lowering weights and the downward part of squats. Is your lawn on a slope by any chance or were you hill walking?:)

Anyway, if it is any of those reasons behind your insulin resistance, the answer is to do whatever it is more often, so it is no longer unaccustomed! You will have a splendid lawn if you mow it twice a week - a true bowling green!

(When I get DOMS, I feel OK at first and then 2 or 3 days after the exercise, I ache like fury.)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no I frequently walk 3+ miles a day (young cocker spaniel!!!) it wasnt hilly, around the local lake. Its not the first cut of the year or anything and not a hill either.

I'm just thrown by how long ist going on for. I usually walk him and experience a drop afterwards even on a normal walk!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no I frequently walk 3+ miles a day (young cocker spaniel!!!) it wasnt hilly, around the local lake. Its not the first cut of the year or anything and not a hill either.

I'm just thrown by how long ist going on for. I usually walk him and experience a drop afterwards even on a normal walk!
Alternatively, mystery high blood sugars can be an incipient infection of some kind. But I still think you only worry if they persist into day two.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
(When I get DOMS, I feel OK at first and then 2 or 3 days after the exercise, I ache like fury.)
Yup, know the feeling. I highly recommend BCAAs as a way to reduce DOMS. I've found they are briiliant.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BCAAs??

This is the second day which is bothering me even more :-/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had days of unexpected highs and practically every time it's been due to my site - either the cannula is placed wrong or I need to move to another body area as my current one has 'run out'.

I've found these highs can come on suddenly and I've found that it's hard to get my BS in range even with a 200% basal rate and corrections from a pen.

Also, I'd check all connections on your pump as I once had a loose set and that gradually made my BS shoot up.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had days of unexpected highs and practically every time it's been due to my site - either the cannula is placed wrong or I need to move to another body area as my current one has 'run out'.

I've found these highs can come on suddenly and I've found that it's hard to get my BS in range even with a 200% basal rate and corrections from a pen.

Also, I'd check all connections on your pump as I once had a loose set and that gradually made my BS shoot up.

Hope you get it sorted.

Done a complete set change and site change as well this morning thinking the same. currently stuck at 12.7 with 60% temp basal and a correction on board. SMH.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fingers crossed. I found it took almost a day to get things back on track. I also had to have much more insulin to bring my BS down when I corrected. All you can do it test and test and hope it's sorted. I usually leave it 24 hrs as I found it needed a while to get back on track.

It's scary when it happens, so I sympathise.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are you giving a bigger correction than normal to counteract the resistance? Perhaps consider a temp basal of 100% and if you have a sensor in keep an eye on it for any signs of coming down. Meal times use a higher carb ratio as well. Then make sure you have the hypo treatment at the ready

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm already being very aggressive for me- If I'm a little higher I normally walk the dog which is why I'm so thrown with this, I consider him generally as effective as insulin!

I'm really worried about doing more than I already am as I've a feeling its going to come crashing down. I'm in work today and yes I have a sensor in but the graph is really not pretty :(

I dont feel unwell and nothing hurts either.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm already being very aggressive for me- If I'm a little higher I normally walk the dog which is why I'm so thrown with this, I consider him generally as effective as insulin!

I'm really worried about doing more than I already am as I've a feeling its going to come crashing down. I'm in work today and yes I have a sensor in but the graph is really not pretty :(

I dont feel unwell and nothing hurts either.
Pump site problem?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Better to be safe than sorry as you are at work.
I go through spells when for no reason at all I need a lot more insulin through the day. Then suddenly crash down towards tea time. So solve the problem with a bolus free evening meal :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pump site problem?
Changed it all this morning to my arm which I reserve for Christmas and Easter or high carb times normally, its a very good absorption area for me.

Just doubled a correction from 0.45 -1U as still 13.2 on meter.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Come on, Tim, don't be mean with the acronyms! ;)Enlighten us all!
Branch Chain Amino Acids - something that weight lifters use to avoid DOMS. Since I started weight training, I started using them and the difference i have found to be immense. They really have made a massive difference and they seem to work with running, cycling and being a quick bowler in cricket as well.

Take 5g prior and 5g post training or match. I was amazed!

On the topic of post exercise inflammation, I have experienced this on extremely hard training sessions. The following day, I've struggled to get my BG levels anywhere near normal. It hasn't happened very often, but on the few occasions I have had it, it's a right pain. I was taking more than 2x my normal insulin and seeing little improvement.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another thought (dangerous) did you have a high fat meal yesterday evening? If so would this cause the problem for you?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no it was very lean actually, salmon (without skin) cooked in pesto with butternut squash mash and roasted courgettes and tomatos.

Also wouldnt explain yesterday when I walked and did loads. Down to 8.9 now but still on temp basal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you tried changing your insulin vial, if not might be worth a go if your high bg levels continue, other than that I wonder if your coming down with something and the symptoms have yet to appear.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried changing your insulin vial, if not might be worth a go if your high bg levels continue, other than that I wonder if your coming down with something and the symptoms have yet to appear.

Thanks nobalhead, because levels were ok pre yesterday I hadnt thought of that. If it carries on I will. Otherwise very possible :(